Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Duellator

Default Equippable Innate Attack

I'm creating a character for an UT game, and I wanted to give her a "gadget" melee weapon that performs an innate attack, that can be taken on or off. What limitation would I use to show this? "Takes extra time" specifically mentions it limits each attack, not time to ready it like a weapon.

So far I have this:

Plasma Gauntlets: Innate attack (Burning) 10d
Armor Divisor 2 (+50%)
Melee Attack C (Dual) (-20%)
Temporary Disadvantage: Electrical (-20%)
Temporary Disadvantage: No Fine Manipulators (-30%)
Breakable (DR 25) (-5%)
Can be Stolen (-10%)

Last edited by Duellator; 10-22-2015 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Grammar
Duellator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
CeeDub

Default Re: Equippable Innate Attack

I think the Gadget limitation already does exactly that. If you don't have the gadget equipped, you can't use the Advantage. If it takes significantly more than a Ready maneuver to put it on (at least a minute, I think), Preparation Required might work. Otherwise, it's assumed that you'd put the thing on if you expect even the possibility of needing it soon, so no points for that.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
Duellator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
I think the Gadget limitation already does exactly that. If you don't have the gadget equipped, you can't use the Advantage. If it takes significantly more than a Ready maneuver to put it on (at least a minute, I think), Preparation Required might work. Otherwise, it's assumed that you'd put the thing on if you expect even the possibility of needing it soon, so no points for that.
Thank you, I suppose that works well enough. Is there no way in RAW to increase the number of ready maneuvers required?

Last edited by Duellator; 10-22-2015 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duellator View Post
Thank you, I suppose that works well enough. Is there no way in RAW to increase the number of ready maneuvers required?
Don't think so. Honestly, if I were the GM, I'd not even award any points for prep time of less than a minute, and the -20% for one minute feel rather generous in this case. Sure, trouble might find you when you don't expect it and putting on the glove takes time. So would fetching the shotgun you left in your truck. You don't get a discount on a shotgun for the possibility of not having it on you or needing to load it before you can use it. All of that is already factored into the Gadget limitation.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duellator View Post
Buy Requires Ready twice. That's one Ready per glove.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Buy Requires Ready twice. That's one Ready per glove.
IDHMBWM, but would that not require a Ready maneuver (or two, in this case) before each individual attack?
Old 10-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
Duellator

Quote:
Don't think so. Honestly, if I were the GM, I'd not even award any points for prep time of less than a minute, and the -20% for one minute feel rather generous in this case. Sure, trouble might find you when you don't expect it and putting on the glove takes time. So would fetching the shotgun you left in your truck. You don't get a discount on a shotgun for the possibility of not having it on you or needing to load it before you can use it. All of that is already factored into the Gadget limitation.
I see your point. I guess the 1 second ready will do.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
IDHMBWM, but would that not require a Ready maneuver (or two, in this case) before each individual attack?
Half value for things that are done once instead of maintained. Same is true for Costs FP.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #9
Duellator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Half value for things that are done once instead of maintained. Same is true for Costs FP.
I don't mean to doubt your knowledge, but can you give a source for that?

Tags
character creation, innate attack, raw, takes extra time