Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #31
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Converting "Problematic" Spells to Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Really? When I tried playtesting it, it seemed vastly underpriced. For the cost of ATR 1, you can call a time out whenever you want, take all the time you need to heal yourself, walk around and observe the position of every single enemy, and then place yourself directly behind one of them while aiming carefully at the back of his head. Take the shot, then freeze time again. There's a reason that version of Jumper isn't canon.
Yeah, I treated "You can't affect it (and vice versa) -- only observe and move through it." as gospel truth. Seemed to work just fine.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #32
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

You may be able to get the effect of the spell with omni-jumping though:

Jumper (time, omniJump +10%, only to time you left world -60%, Tunnel +40% ) [90]
Jumper (personal-dimension, omniJump+10%, Tunnel +40%) [150]

This ability removes you from your time stream to a personal dimension without much in it where you are safe and can act freely within its bounds. Tunnel provides the effect where leaving the dimension dumps you out just outside of the sphere of the timeout.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #33
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You may be able to get the effect of the spell with omni-jumping though: ...omniJump +10%...
What is "omniJump"?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #34
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
What is "omniJump"?
A special name for linked when its applied to world jumping and time jumping together.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #35
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yeah, I treated "You can't affect it (and vice versa) -- only observe and move through it." as gospel truth. Seemed to work just fine.
Everything I just said was "observing and moving through it," nothing more. (In case it wasn't clear, I meant you unfroze time before taking the shot -- which is why I said you had to freeze time "again" afterward.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #36
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Everything I just said was "observing and moving through it," nothing more. (In case it wasn't clear, I meant you unfroze time before taking the shot -- which is why I said you had to freeze time "again" afterward.)
*grumble grumble* need more sleep *grumble grumble* I guess that could be unbalanced when reducing the required Concentration times. I wonder if you could modify it with a maximum duration on its base. Maybe a couple of seconds and then use Extended Duration to make it longer. Dunno. Need more sleep. I'mma thinking on it though. Maybe Morpheus will stop making me his personal gimp long enough to let me sleep so I can think with a clear head.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #37
Nereidalbel

Control Time 10 is still probably the most RAW way to do this, rather than weird uses of Jumper. It also has the nice touch of allowing other people with Control Time 10 to act as normal.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #38
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
*grumble grumble* need more sleep *grumble grumble* I guess that could be unbalanced when reducing the required Concentration times. I wonder if you could modify it with a maximum duration on its base.
Based on altered time rate, having 1s of time stop per second of regular time is plausibly 100p -- e.g. something like:
Altered Time Rate (Time Stop, +0%)
Functions as ordinary altered time rate, but during your extra turns you are outside of time. The drawback is that you can't interact with anything; the advantage is that no-one can interfere with you either.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:05 AM   #39
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Based on altered time rate, having 1s of time stop per second of regular time is plausibly 100p -- e.g. something like:
Altered Time Rate (Time Stop, +0%)
Functions as ordinary altered time rate, but during your extra turns you are outside of time. The drawback is that you can't interact with anything; the advantage is that no-one can interfere with you either.
While interesting, I don't think this effect is anything like the way these spells are meant to work, nor like similar abilities work in fiction. '1 second per second, once every second' is very different from 'for a significant amount of time, but not so often', and no, Maximum Duration doesn't solve that on its own.

Another consideration is just what is considered interaction? Say, I go behind someone and shoot a bullet out of my gun. Sure, the bullet just hangs in the air upon leaving my barrel, but the interaction will happen after the timestop ceases.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #40
Terwin

Remember, Time-out is a very powerful spell with limitations like 'Bounded by a wall of utter blackness', 'spells involving the outside automatically fail', and 'the flow of mana is effectively nill' to keep it from being an automatic 'I win this siege' spell, even with a 5 minute casting time.

Time Out:
VH spell
Base cost: 5
Time to cast: 5 minutes
Prerequisites: Magery 3 and a VH spell that requires IQ 13+ and 2 spells form each of 10 colleges.

Sounds to me like the kind of spell that would only be accessible to the most powerful master wizards with a long and successful career behind them, and even then it is probably only used a few times per war as part of a critical surprise-attack where a couple archers with a cart launch $10,000 worth of arrows in an opening salvo.

Getting all that for a couple hundred points seems pretty cheap, especially if it becomes quick enough that you can cast it during normal combats.(at which point it could be compared to an innate attack covering the range of a common ranged weapon of the campaign as an area of effect and doing at least as much damage as that ranged weapon, especially with the ability to focus all of that fire on one or two large targets if needed)
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorcery