Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2023, 05:33 PM   #1351
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
when do you get it back?
Don't we get three destiny points? Irregardless, the last one I spent was 77 posts ago... I think we agreed on a refresh every sixty or something? Maybe I remember wrong. But that would peg it at 1407..


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
the warrior dodges with 13 and 9, reducing shots taken by 2. That's 108 pi damage to the torso. The warrior has high pain threshold, but that's a lot of damage. Somehow, he remains upright and on his griffon (a lot of HT rolls... he has at least an effective 16)
I'm surprised he's alive, then consider that he might be immortal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He stabs the Glaive at Halcyone again, with the potential to hit again (-3 to defend this time), rolled a 12. Potential Damage is 9.
Quote:
[713] 23-10-13 00:15:03 BST
Dodge!
3d6 <= 6
6 + 4 + 4 = 14 ... failure
Well I can't keep buying success. Down to 7HP, major wound.

Quote:
[714] 23-10-13 00:23:32 BST
HT Roll
3d6 <= 13
6 + 5 + 4 = 15 ... failure
Well I guess I have to buy success here. (Returns 1411? Or 1467 sequentially)

I take a bad hit but between my armor and luck I remain standing. I continue to fire at the warrior. 3 more rounds of ammo remain.

Quote:
[715] 23-10-13 00:27:40 BST
Guns (Rifle), center x2. (+2 from RoF, -1? distance)

-3d6 +17
1: - 1 - 2 - 5 + 17 = 9 (5 possible hits)
2: - 4 - 2 - 2 + 17 = 9 (5 possible hits)
Quote:
[716] 23-10-13 00:29:48 BST
Damage Rolls
6d6 +2
1: 3 + 5 + 1 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 2 = 20
2: 3 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 18
3: 3 + 1 + 1 + 4 + 2 + 5 + 2 = 18
4: 2 + 6 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 5 + 2 = 20
5: 1 + 1 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 4 + 2 = 16
6: 4 + 5 + 2 + 2 + 5 + 3 + 2 = 23
7: 1 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 12
8: 6 + 5 + 2 + 6 + 3 + 1 + 2 = 25
9: 2 + 6 + 2 + 2 + 4 + 3 + 2 = 21
10: 2 + 1 + 6 + 3 + 6 + 5 + 2 = 25

sum: 198, average: 19.80
Surely he couldn't survive that.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 10:58 AM   #1352
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Vassarious has Karate 16, and parry is (1/2 skill +3) for 11 then +1 for Combat reflexes, and +2 for Enhanced Parry bring it to 14
Our situational modifiers add +3 for the retreat, bringing it to 17, and -1 to the defense was specified in your post for a total of 16.

I'll try and be better about spelling it all out.
I missed the base '+3', of all things. focusing so much on the 'hard stuff' I forgot the easy stuff.

Quote:
Vassarious uses another slip towards their opponent while parrying the net and closing the distance to 2 yards on the defense,
What was the actual roll on the Parry?

Quote:
Vassarious then launches another double handful of Shuriken
DWA - Throwing Art 15+Acc 3 = skill 18

All six hit, no active defense for the first three!
He rolled a three to avoid the non-critical attack. The Three bone projectiles tear into his torso, ripping giant holes. Blood is everywhere, but he seems to be structurally intact, and still conscious*. I think that's 62 damage. He's below HP*-3.


*good HT and a string of good rolls for consciousness and knockdown.


Quote:
Vassarious takes a step back after the attack, returning to a range of 3 yards.
The griffon of V's opponent leaps forward, attacking with its claws (with -2 deceptive). Its a potential hit! 12 crushing damage and a free grapple if not blocked.


The bleeding warrior swings at V's hand with a sword (-4 hand, +2 technique, -3 deceptive). That's a potential hit. 7 cutting damage.

Yes, refresh is 60. Yes, you have three destiny.


Is your dodge really 6? are you sure? and you don't retreat for +3? I don't think that helps against 14, but still.


Quote:
I'm surprised he's alive, then consider that he might be immortal...

Well I can't keep buying success. Down to 7HP, major wound.

Well I guess I have to buy success here. (Returns 1411? Or 1467 sequentially)

I take a bad hit but between my armor and luck I remain standing. I continue to fire at the warrior. 3 more rounds of ammo remain.

Surely he couldn't survive that.
"survive"... probably. "Remain standing"? lets see... He reduces the hits by 1 with a single bare dodge. I think that's 194 damage? He falls off the griffon, but his head snaps back up after a moment. He's very close to HP*-10


The griffon, free of its mount, pounces at Halcyone. Deceptive -2. It misses (rolled a 14), but is now behind Halcyone.



Yi throws a pouch of something that explodes into a cloud of smoking powder at the feet of the big guy and steps into it.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:51 AM   #1353
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Is your dodge really 6? are you sure? and you don't retreat for +3? I don't think that helps against 14, but still.
I forgot retreating too. But with a starting dodge of 9 and subtracting 3 (deceptive attack I guess), the OKish defense becomes plain bad. I suppose Halcyone could drop the jammed rifle and start parrying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"survive"... probably. "Remain standing"? lets see... He reduces the hits by 1 with a single bare dodge. I think that's 194 damage? He falls off the griffon, but his head snaps back up after a moment. He's very close to HP*-10
I guess he's not a problem now, at least until he gets back up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The griffon, free of its mount, pounces at Halcyone. Deceptive -2. It misses (rolled a 14), but is now behind Halcyone.
I drop the jammed rifle to free up a pair of hands, fire at the rider's body and swing around to confront the Gryphon. Move and Attack


Quote:
[717] 23-10-20 18:55:45 BST

Guns (Rifle), Rider X2 (bulk -4, distance -1?, RoF +2)

-3d6 +13
1: - 2 - 1 - 4 + 13 = 6 (4 possible hits)
2: - 3 - 3 - 6 + 13 = 1 (1 possible hit)

sum: 7, average: 3.50
Quote:
[718] 23-10-20 18:59:01 BST

Damage Rolls

6d6 +2
1: 3 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 5 + 2 = 24
2: 5 + 2 + 3 + 6 + 5 + 2 + 2 = 25
3: 6 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 26
4: 3 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 6 + 5 + 2 = 26
5: 5 + 4 + 5 + 1 + 3 + 5 + 2 = 25

sum: 126, average: 25.20

Last edited by TGLS; 10-20-2023 at 12:00 PM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 06:11 PM   #1354
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Note they appear to be shuriken when in a humanoid form, not bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
What was the actual roll on the Parry?
[710] 23-10-12 16:41:46 BST -

Parry - 17

3d6
3 + 5 + 2 = 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The griffon of V's opponent leaps forward, attacking with its claws (with -2 deceptive). Its a potential hit! 12 crushing damage and a free grapple if not blocked.
Vassarious enters into a spin away while his "long knives" whips out for an acrobatic retreating gamboling parry away from the Gryphon

Acrobatics!

3d6
6 + 2 + 4 = 12

[722] 23-10-21 01:02:15 BST

(16/2 +3) for 11 then +1 for Combat reflexes, and +2 for Enhanced Parry, +1 for Acrobatic Defense, +3 Retreat, -2 deceptive = 16

[721] 23-10-21 01:00:08 BST

parry

3d6
6 + 4 + 2 = 12

Armed Parry Damage

11d6 +1
1 + 1 + 3 + 5 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 5 + 1 + 2 + 6 + 1 = 36




Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The bleeding warrior swings at V's hand with a sword (-4 hand, +2 technique, -3 deceptive). That's a potential hit. 7 cutting damage.
They were 3 yards apart and Vassarius' retreat brings that to 5 yards. Can the bleeding warrior close that distance and attack without a wild swing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

Yes, refresh is 60. Yes, you have three destiny.
Impulse Point recharge is every 120 posts
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 08:39 AM   #1355
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Note they appear to be shuriken when in a humanoid form, not bone.
Thumbs Up.


Quote:
Vassarious enters into a spin away while his "long knives" whips out for an acrobatic retreating gamboling parry away from the Gryphon

Armed Parry Damage

11d6 +1
1 + 1 + 3 + 5 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 5 + 1 + 2 + 6 + 1 = 36
The griffons claws are effectively strikers in this situation.
Also, what's the dice of damage if not converting adds to dice?

Quote:
They were 3 yards apart and Vassarius' retreat brings that to 5 yards. Can the bleeding warrior close that distance and attack without a wild swing?
Good question. The warrior is on the griffon, so that distance closed to 1, and then went up to 3 with the retreat... So it seems the whip warrior should have had the griffon pull up closer.



The warrior takes a wait, as the holes in his body begin closing at a rapid pace (1xHP per turn)



Quote:
Impulse Point recharge is every 120 posts
Thanks! knowing what the number is, I found it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I forgot retreating too. But with a starting dodge of 9 and subtracting 3 (deceptive attack I guess), the OKish defense becomes plain bad. I suppose Halcyone could drop the jammed rifle and start parrying...
Fair enough. Halcyone's exact stats always catch me by surprise.



Quote:

I guess he's not a problem now, at least until he gets back up.

I drop the jammed rifle to free up a pair of hands, fire at the rider's body and swing around to confront the Gryphon. Move and Attack
his dodges are a 6 and a 14, that's two failures: He takes 126 damage. Falling prone and halving your dodge (rather than halving speed and applying that to dodge) is brutal. His wounds are closing though. Same rate as the other guy: HP per second. I think we're waiting on V to act before running the enemy turn.


Damage is capped at reducing to HPx-10, if I remember the rules right.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 11:40 AM   #1356
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The griffons claws are effectively strikers in this situation.
Also, what's the dice of damage if not converting adds to dice?
It has Limb strikers instead of claws? Ugh, I'll have to imprint that for later. Looks like I'm in big trouble.

Swing is 5d+2
+2 per die for Skill bonus, +2 per die for Natural weapon high damage bonus:

= 5d + 22
= 5d + 6d + 1
= 11d + 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Fair enough. Halcyone's exact stats always catch me by surprise.
Yeah, we do not have high stats. Halycone's are better than Vassarious'! His dodge is pathetic, lol. I set the Attributes when I thought I would be able to boost DX and HT with templates, but you changed that rule on me! CURSES, FOILED AGAIN. It makes things tough... I have a martial artist with a crap dodge and not enough skill to mount a useful deceptive attack. Unfortunately they cannot shapeshift quickly enough to make it useful in combat time, so Immunity to metabolic hazards, DR4 and having weapons are all the benefits they get from that in a fight. Maybe I should just fight defensively and wait for Halcyone to mow them all down...

On the guns... Are we not supposed to be passing for locals? Is that not out the window when we start using firearms?


I don't have my books with me or time to figure out all the modifiers for something clever right now (Still honeymooning) so we will just use a Raptor's Strafe to move and attack without penalties and close the distance to 2 and DWA throw shuriken, and continue moving to back away and increase the distance to 6 yards.


Acrobatics for "Raptor's Strafe"

Quote:
3d6
6 + 2 + 2 = 10
DWA - Throwing Art 15+Acc 3 = skill 18

Quote:
Throwing Art

3d6
1: 6 + 2 + 2 = 10
2: 4 + 4 + 6 = 14
All are potential hits.
Quote:
Shuriken Damage
4d6 (2)
1: 1 + 5 + 1 + 6 = 13
2: 2 + 1 + 2 + 6 = 11
3: 3 + 3 + 6 + 6 = 18
4: 5 + 1 + 1 + 3 = 10
5: 3 + 5 + 4 + 3 = 15
6: 2 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 20

sum: 87, average: 14.50
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:25 AM   #1357
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Swing is 5d+2
+2 per die for Skill bonus, +2 per die for Natural weapon high damage bonus:

= 5d + 22
= 5d + 6d + 1
= 11d + 1
Thanks, that helps.

Quote:
Yeah, we do not have high stats. Halycone's are better than Vassarious'!
V has this weird thing were the Martial Arts! skill is basically a stat unto itself. And I'm learning SO MUCH about techniques from this build.


Quote:
On the guns... Are we not supposed to be passing for locals? Is that not out the window when we start using firearms?
Depends if these guys get away... This is a fight out in the desert, with no outside observers... aside from Yi.



This is what you were told:

Quote:
You have no contacts on-world. This is considered hostile territory and enemy magic is pretty good at finding spies. Corco would like you to try and blend in, yes. Though they have crazy phaux-mythological monsters on this world, so its not as hard as it might be.
Quote:
I don't have my books with me or time to figure out all the modifiers for something clever right now (Still honeymooning) so we will just use a Raptor's Strafe to move and attack without penalties and close the distance to 2 and DWA throw shuriken, and continue moving to back away and increase the distance to 6 yards.
The previous damage done has a slowing effect on your opponent, making it much easier to hit him. He feverishly defends... but that only spares him a single hit. That's 107 damage total. He's at HPx-10, and falls off of the griffon.


The griffon facing Vassarious grabs his rider its claws and prepares to take off.



The griffon facing Halcyone attacks with a claw.. deceptive attack at -1 this time... a potential hit. 6 damage and a grapple if not defended. Yi and his foe are still in their cloud... but now the wounded griffon moves in as well.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:22 PM   #1358
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The griffon facing Halcyone attacks with a claw.. deceptive attack at -1 this time... a potential hit. 6 damage and a grapple if not defended.
Quote:
[726] 23-10-25 23:10:22 BST
Judo Parry
3d6 <= 11
3 + 6 + 4 = 13 ... failure
Well, forgot the deceptive attack but just the same. Exactly 1HP remaining... I suppose it could choose to attack my arm instead, in which case it's dismembered...

Well, given I'd probably haul my ass high in the sky and drop me if I were the Gryphon,
Quote:
[727] 23-10-25 23:21:34 BST
Break Free (+8 for 4 extra arms)
-3d6 +29
- 2 - 1 - 2 + 29 = 24
Well let's see it beat that!
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 01:03 AM   #1359
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Spoiler:  



Vassarious charges and leaps, bursting at the gryphon with astonishing speed and lashing out with their long knives, trying to take the creature's head!

Spoiler:  
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:14 AM   #1360
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, forgot the deceptive attack but just the same. Exactly 1HP remaining... I suppose it could choose to attack my arm instead, in which case it's dismembered...

Well, given I'd probably haul my ass high in the sky and drop me if I were the Gryphon,

Well let's see it beat that!
It rolled a 9 vs a ST of 24... Halcyone is free!


The griffon turns around and grabs its immortal before taking to the sky.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Swing = 7d
Thanks

Is Raptor's Strafe from elsewhere? don't worry about it until you've got your books and all. The interaction with Flying leap is also interesting.

Quote:
Vassarious charges and leaps, bursting at the gryphon with astonishing speed and lashing out with their long knives, trying to take the creature's head!
Two hits. Its dead. and Headless.


The cloud of smoke remains, and the two immortals continue to put themselves together.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.