Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #21
JMD

Default Re: Chess-like teleportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaal View Post
What happens if he teleports from the North Pole? :P
haha well, I suppose he'll still teleport, unless he is precisely, down to the smallest measurement, at the very most northern tip of the world.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #22
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
That's a pretty good idea. How does this look?

Warp [5
Reliable 5, 25%;
L-shape only, Cardinal Directions Only (Nuisance), -5%;
3-yards only, -65%;
Costs Fatigue 1, -5%;
Uses per day 4, -20%;
Takes Recharge 5 seconds, -10%]
Seems OK. The [5 nest to Warp in the first line is just a typo? Note that, as Bill pointed out earlier, the actual range limit for a (2,1) yard teleport is close to 2.25 yards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
haha well, I suppose he'll still teleport, unless he is precisely, down to the smallest measurement, at the very most northern tip of the world.
It won't be easy getting there and staying there. I would not have a problem with saying his Warp would not work in that case, though. Being at the South Pole presents its own difficulties, but (especially with this write-up) I'd be fine with allowing him to Warp anywhere within range from that point.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaal View Post
What happens if he teleports from the North Pole? :P
He'd have gotten away with it if it weren't for you, you meddling kid.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
JMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Seems OK. The [5 nest to Warp in the first line is just a typo? Note that, as Bill pointed out earlier, the actual range limit for a (2,1) yard teleport is close to 2.25 yards.
It won't be easy getting there and staying there. I would not have a problem with saying his Warp would not work in that case, though. Being at the South Pole presents its own difficulties, but (especially with this write-up) I'd be fine with allowing him to Warp anywhere within range from that point.

The 5 is the effective cost for the ability after all the modifiers.

I understand that in a straight line it is closer to 2.25 yards, but I like to think of it as moving through "teleportation space" with 3 yards of movement, just to illustrate the "L"-ness of it all. :)

This is also for a fantasy game, so I won't dwell too much on south/north pole irregularities, especially so because this is magic.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
Ronin Rabbit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
the L shape only become significant if its crooked in some way. For example, you have to be facing the the left or right of where you want to go. (which is something of a nuisance ).
^See this is how I read it, as a 1-2-over, where over also = facing change. So if it's 1-2-over only in the direction he's facing... that's a big difference from if it's 1-2-over in any direction (which is pretty pointless).
Ronin Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chess, teleportation