Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2018, 06:12 AM   #19
RobW

Default Re: Return of the MNSH (Murderous Ninja Sniper Halfling)

MNSHs are a disgusting abomination. THey need to be stopped. I agree a 40-pt one is unlikely to "make it", but still, a 32-pt MNSH looks like: ST4 DX15 IQ13 for the mastery version, or ST4 DX20 IQ8 if you houserule against sha-ken mastery. These early career MNSHs are awful as well. e.g. even the latter can deliver about 19 damage to an unarmored figure against the far wall, by running halfway across the arena and unleashing their barrage. Oh that figure against the far wall is dodging? THat's just 13 damage then. [Edit: damages are wrong]

On reflection, I think the real problem is not mastery or shrewd throws, but the idea of throwing 12 sha-ken in one attack. Coupled with the 1d-2 damage for a weapon that can be used by a ST4 figure. Twelve? This is just insane. I think fighting with two battleaxes is also kind of crazy, but I can at least visualise it. But throwing 12 sha-ken just seems a physical impossibility. Yet this impossibility is the root reason both the original and improved Shrewd MNSH are so awful.

I would suggest as MNSH-killing houserule:
You can (ready and) throw 1, 2, or 3 sha-ken, with DX penalty of 0, 2, 4.

Another houserule might be to disallow expertise/mastery of peculiar weapons. It might be better to assume the peculiar talent already reflects special advantages and a form of mastery. This would be a houserule, but since I dislike the peculiar weapons in general, it's appealing.

I definitely would allow shrewd attacks with thrown weapons, as I think this is plausible RAW, generally inoffensive, fun, and cinematic. A dwarf master shrewdly throwing his axe to take out the final opponent, that's too sweet a situation to disallow.

Last edited by RobW; 11-12-2018 at 09:06 AM.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote