Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #2321
Lamech
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
(Unless anything else happens in, say, four minutes.)

Jorin eventually heaves himself to his feet and, leaning heavily on his staff, walks slowly back to where John and Sam are. When he gets there, he slumps back down to a sitting position with a grunt before asking, "How's everyone doing? Need any help there, John?"
Yeah, I'm having a bit of trouble. Self-healing is really hard, especially when you need to stand up and what not.
__________________
John
Cee
Martel
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #2322
momothefiddler
 
momothefiddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

"Alright. Bear with me a couple minutes. I'm quite worn out."

He reaches over and places a hand on John's shoulder, examining the injuries.

(Body Reading 22 -1(Prerequisite Count) = 21, roll 11, cost 0
I as a player am not sure what your level of injury is either, so if you could let me know how much assistance you need that'd be great.)
__________________
Characters

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #2323
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
"Alright. Bear with me a couple minutes. I'm quite worn out."

He reaches over and places a hand on John's shoulder, examining the injuries.

(Body Reading 22 -1(Prerequisite Count) = 21, roll 11, cost 0
I as a player am not sure what your level of injury is either, so if you could let me know how much assistance you need that'd be great.)
John was shot for 24 pi damage (1 damage has been recovered from first aid). This was generic, so assumed to be to the torso without hitting vitals (with that much damage it's a wonder he has any torso left to be honest). He should probably have made a couple of rolls for avoiding being unconscious by now, and is probably suffering from something serious internally. Any healing would be best targeted to stop the bleeding, then shore things up internally, then tidy it up as a whole. I'm not entirely sure I approve of the RPG system of generic healing spells, but that might just be because I've been reading the Iron Druid Chronicles where magical healing is actually highly accelerated regeneration, so you need to target it properly (healing quickly isn't the same as healing properly). Operating on limited FP, Jorin should be worrying about (given that he has no medical training aside from first aid at TL3) closing up the wound (covered by first aid), then generically worrying about inside (surgery at TL3 not being the most precise thing most of the time).
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #2324
momothefiddler
 
momothefiddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

"Oh. Oh.... Oh dear."

Jorin glances around.

"Sam, keep watch. Jacob, see if you can find a nearby shelter where we can keep safe while I try to deal with this. John, just relax and don't resist."

Without waiting for responses, Jorin gets to his knees and leans over John, leaving one hand on his shoulder and placing the other on his forehead. He then closes his eyes and (barring interruption) remains motionless for about twenty seconds, then falls back with a moan and sits still for a while, breathing heavily.

(Healing Slumber 22 -6(Prerequisite Count) -2(Burning HP) = 14, roll 14 - wow - cost 4 (2fp, 2hp))
__________________
Characters

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #2325
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
"Oh. Oh.... Oh dear."

Jorin glances around.

"Sam, keep watch. Jacob, see if you can find a nearby shelter where we can keep safe while I try to deal with this. John, just relax and don't resist."

Without waiting for responses, Jorin gets to his knees and leans over John, leaving one hand on his shoulder and placing the other on his forehead. He then closes his eyes and (barring interruption) remains motionless for about twenty seconds, then falls back with a moan and sits still for a while, breathing heavily.

(Healing Slumber 22 -6(Prerequisite Count) -2(Burning HP) = 14, roll 14 - wow - cost 4 (2fp, 2hp))
[OOC: This effectively removes John from play for the next eight hours, unless Jorin decides to wake him up sooner (or he gets attacked or something), and will recover him 8 HP during that time.]

Sam, Jacob and Wolf look at the pair of mages, all a bit bemused.

"Who knows how long this will take," Jacob says. "We should be able to hide out in one of those buildings easily enough. Hang around here and I'll check."

As he heads off, Sam looks at Jorin again, frowning, then rummages through his backpack for a moment and pulls something the size and shape of a bulky pen out. He considers the writing on the side of it carefully for a moment before shrugging and jabbing it sharply into Jorin's thigh or arm.

[OOC: Bizarrely GURPS doesn't have an irritating/ incapacitating condition listed for being 'hyper'. They can do drowsy, sleepy, etc, but not hyper. Oh well, I'll improvise. Sam just hit Jorin's system with a combat stimulant, originally tailored for Sam's use (hence why he was considering the writing on the side, but he has no points in First Aid or similar so he used it anyway) in emergencies; he backpack consists of oddments that he packed combined with bits packed in there for him like this. This temporarily grants 150% FP and restores the subject to that level over about five seconds. If Sam used it he would be fine. Since it wasn't intended for Jorin, he gets to make a HT-2 roll. On a failure he catches Impulsiveness and Doesn't Slow Down (basically, moving everywhere at full speed) for (margin of failure x 10) minutes, but still gets the advantages.]
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #2326
momothefiddler
 
momothefiddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

(Right. I didn't intend it to be the actual solution to the problem, just a way of keeping things under control while Jorin got himself together. But with Sam's help... HT 10 -2 = 8, roll 8)

Jorin sits up sharply, eyes wide, and stares at Sam for a couple seconds as his entire body lights up. "What did you just do what are the consequences will you be able to do it again how long will this last why didn't you tell me you could do that?? But this is an unprecedented amount of readily available energy and I'm sure it would be easy to..."

Without waiting for a response, he turns back to John and begins casting again, complete with uncharacteristically obvious motions and chanting.

(Great Healing 22 -4(Prerequisite Count) -3(Burning HP) = 15, roll 6, cost 18(15fp, 3hp; leaving Jorin at 5hp/0fp)
Body Reading 22 -1(Prerequisite Count) = 21, roll 10, cost 0)


"Much better."
A disturbing amount of blood begins pouring from Jorin's nose as he keeps working, but he hardly seems to notice, except for a few sharp gasps.

(Major Healing 22 -3(Prerequisite Count) -2(Burning HP) = 17, roll 9, cost 2(2hp; leaving Jorin at 3hp but healing 8 for a final total of 11)
Minor Healing 22 -2(Prerequisite Count) = 20, roll 14, cost 0(heals 2, leaving Jorin at 13/13))
__________________
Characters

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT

Last edited by momothefiddler; 10-23-2013 at 06:37 PM.
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #2327
Lamech
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

John doesn't resist the spells, at least not while he is conscious. I don't think any of the other spells are resistible.
__________________
John
Cee
Martel
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #2328
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Michael goes up to the man at the counter and starts asking questions about the city: how is public transportation, where are the notable sites, and where on a map of the country it is exactly. He'll also ask if there are any colleges in the area. He will purchase a map of the area (the scale should be one that shows the shapes and relative locations of the local cities) and mark where he is on it. privately, he'll mark the general direction the compass is pointing. He'll get a compass, if they have one, or figure out a different way to find north.

If he can get public transportation, he'll try to go beyond the needle, getting it to swing around and point a different direction. If there is a college nearby (in the same town), he'll go there.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #2329
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
(Right. I didn't intend it to be the actual solution to the problem, just a way of keeping things under control while Jorin got himself together. But with Sam's help... HT 10 -2 = 8, roll 8)

Jorin sits up sharply, eyes wide, and stares at Sam for a couple seconds as his entire body lights up. "What did you just do what are the consequences will you be able to do it again how long will this last why didn't you tell me you could do that?? But this is an unprecedented amount of readily available energy and I'm sure it would be easy to..."

Without waiting for a response, he turns back to John and begins casting again, complete with uncharacteristically obvious motions and chanting.

(Great Healing 22 -4(Prerequisite Count) -3(Burning HP) = 15, roll 6, cost 18(15fp, 3hp; leaving Jorin at 5hp/0fp)
Body Reading 22 -1(Prerequisite Count) = 21, roll 10, cost 0)


"Hm, no, that's hardly sufficient on its own, perhaps if I- no, but I can't now, except maybe..."
A disturbing amount of blood begins pouring from Jorin's nose as he keeps working, but he hardly seems to notice, except for a few sharp gasps.

(Major Healing 22 -3(Prerequisite Count) -2(Burning HP) = 17, roll 9, cost 2(2hp; leaving Jorin at 3hp but healing 8 for a final total of 11)
Stop Bleeding 22 -2(Prerequisite Count) -8(Burning HP) = 12, roll 14, failure - cost 1(1hp)
Stop Bleeding 22 -2(Prerequisite Count) -8(Burning HP) = 12, roll 7, cost 8(8hp)
Body Reading 22 -1(Prerequisite Count) = 21, roll 14, cost 0
According to Jorin's limited knowledge and Body-Reading results, is that sufficient?)


He sits back, still breathing heavily but apparently succeeding slightly in his attempts to calm himself.
I'm a bit confused about these spells; Great Healing should have totally fixed things (for 20FP cost and a margin of success of 9 I'll allow serious amounts of healing), unless I'm misreading the "restores all of the subject's missing HP" wrong that is. Certainly that will cover the internal damage and patch things up so that the worst Jorin should be having to deal with in the second round of spells is something to tidy up a bit to prevent scarring. Also, the stimshot will temporarily boost his FP recovery to the point where he will be able to cast something to recover his own lost HP after only a couple of minutes wait. Basically, within ten minutes he should be able to cast Great Healing, Body Reading, and then fix his own lost HP and tidy up John. Casting Great Healing first kind of negates most of the other spells. Unless I've missed something serious here.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #2330
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Michael goes up to the man at the counter and starts asking questions about the city: how is public transportation, where are the notable sites, and where on a map of the country it is exactly. He'll also ask if there are any colleges in the area. He will purchase a map of the area (the scale should be one that shows the shapes and relative locations of the local cities) and mark where he is on it. privately, he'll mark the general direction the compass is pointing. He'll get a compass, if they have one, or figure out a different way to find north.

If he can get public transportation, he'll try to go beyond the needle, getting it to swing around and point a different direction. If there is a college nearby (in the same town), he'll go there.
The man behind the counter is fairly relaxed about Michael's questions.

Current location: Michael is close to the city centre; the main shopping areas are spread to the west, and the compass appears to be pointing north east.
  • Public transport: there are a series of trams that run a kind of celtic knot around the city, as well as a few buses. Taxies tend to be run by private companies rather than being 'public transport' but they do exist. The trams run a day ticket, which Michael can buy here and from quite a few hotels or hostels for tomorrow and onwards.
  • Notable sites: The tourist maps list a number of historical sites in the city, as well as the library (incorporating the museum), an athletics ground, two sports grounds of some kind, the main shopping streets, and several notable clubs.
  • Where in the country: This gets him an odd look, but he's directed to the maps below.
  • Colleges: There are a couple of colleges in the city, as well as twelve schools and a university. One of the colleges is close by.
  • Maps: There are three maps that Michael is recommended to purchase. The first is a tourist map (1:6000 scale) with assorted notable sites highlighted on it and the tram routes carefully marked out. The second is an Explorer scale map (1:25000) showing the city, surrounding area and so forth; this one doesn't have tourist information marked, being a regular road/ footpath OS style map. The third is the Landranger scale (1:50000) which shows less detail but a much larger area, showing the neighbouring counties as well as the local one. There is a larger map, showing
  • Compass: A compass will not replace a Cartography roll; it will provide a bonus to one in order to align a map or locate your position on a map, or a Cartography (or Navigation or similar) roll can be used to follow the direction on a compass. Trust me: I've tried teaching people how to use a compass before, and it isn't an unskilled activity. You can buy one easily enough though.

Onwards: The nearby college is about 90 off the approximate line that the compass is pointing in. There's a tram that will take Michael out that way, but it then curves off the wrong way, so Michael would need to then double back or take a round trip of nearly a quarter of the city before being in a sensible place to get a reading.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.