Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #161
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Statting Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKurgan98
Amen to that! It isn’t about critiquing IQ testing methods or criticizing other people’s opinions on the subject, either, so instead of analyzing all this stuff to death, just try it out! I’m amazed how well the 4E system works overall when statting yourself. Just make your best guess at the stats, then do the skills, keeping in mind Probability of Success table on B171, and about how much effort you had to make to get to that point. If you are spending too many points to get to the level of probability of success you actually have, then the stat is too low. If the skill levels are coming out too high for not enough effort, the stat is too high. If it doesn’t represent the range and limits of your abilities accurately, use advantages, disadvantages and talent to skew it closer to reality. But the probability curve is the real key, not any theoretical rhetoric on the nature of IQ or whatever.

How good at this skill are you? What are your odds of succeeding under pressure? How much work did it take to get to that place? That’s all you need to know. It works, and it’s fun!
Well the the probability curve is key as long as you rembed Task Difucalty modifers, and the Cure reflect Effective Skill more that it does Base Skill
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #162
Moncubus

*Lurker cloak off!*

ST 11 [10] (I could just as well be a 10, this is just what doing a Basic Lift test on myself seems to indicate.)
DX 9 [-20] (Clumsy and bad hand-eye coordination.)
IQ 11 [20] (It could just as well be I have a 10 and more points in various random skills than I think.)
HT 9 [-10] (Exercise? What's that?)

Advantages: Patron (Parents) [30]

Disadvantages:
Overweight [-1]
Gluttony (15) [-3]
Unattractive [-4]
Unfit [-5]
Mild Shyness [-5]
Arachnophobia [-5]
Social Stigma: Minor [-5]
Pacifism (Reluctant Killer and Cannot Harm Innocents) [-15] (Is it reasonable to combine the two?)
Dead Broke [-25]

Quirks:
Distractible [-1]
Intentionally surreal and weird [-1]
Slothful [-1]
Sensitive Skin [-1]
Forgetful [-1]

Skills:
Artist (Drawing): 9 [1]
Area Knowledge (North America): 11 [1]
Area Knowledge (Internet): 11 [1]
Computer Operation/TL8: 12 [2]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Politics): 11 [1]
Games (GURPS): 12 [2]
Games (d20): 12 [2]
Games (Chess): 11 [1]
Hobby (Science Fiction): 11 [1]
History (20th Century American): 9 [1]
History (Medieval Europe): 9 [1]
Rapier: 9 [2]
Research/TL8: 10 [1]
Typing: 10 [2]
Writing: 10 [1]

Advantages: 30
Disadvantages: -68
Quirks: -5
Skills: 20
Cultural/Languages: 0
Total: -23 (all right, so I might've fudged my skills slightly to get that...)

*Lurker cloak on!*
Moncubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #163
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wright
The difference between one level of appearance and the next - In this case, Attractive or Average - is pretty subjective.
Oh, definitely. Absolute beauty only exists in myth and fiction. An entirely realistic game probably wouldn't even have an Appearance trait, because it's altogether too subjective for words. For instance, I think Mira (far right in photo) is beautiful, told someone, and they said she was funny-looking.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #164
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochemet
I can't agree though. Maybe Perk: Honest Face(1)? I am not fishing for compliments. If you want to reply please keep that in mind.
I'd probaby give officer Karen Blint, (as Sir_Pudding pointed out), the Perk: Cute, but the effects of honest face would work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Oh, definitely. Absolute beauty only exists in myth and fiction. An entirely realistic game probably wouldn't even have an Appearance trait, because it's altogether too subjective for words. For instance, I think Mira (far right in photo) is beautiful, told someone, and they said she was funny-looking.
I'd say she's definitely attractive, but after that I'd have to ask where one delineates between natural appearance and good make-up application.
With the right make-up she is beautiful, but some women just look much better with the right make-up, and some, no matter how good the artist, don't really improve much.

Last edited by Ze'Manel Cunha; 09-02-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #165
jspade

I wouldn't go as far as Kromm, but I have come to believe that the GURPS Appearance trait, especially at levels above Handsome, is more cinematic than realistic -- mostly by comparison to other reaction-modifying traits. I'd be much more comfortable with an upper bound of +4 to reaction; simply halving the bonuses above Attractive (and halving the point cost as well) is under consideration for my future games.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:53 AM   #166
nik1979

Me (40cp) good enough to be an NPC for a game
Description: Above average height (5’9”) and fair skinned for a filipino with a medium build (160lbs).
Attributes[30]: ST 9 [-10] DX 11 [20] IQ 11 [20] HT10 [0]
Secondary Characteristics [0]:
Damage Thr1d-2/Sw1d-1; Basic Lift: 18
Perception 11; Will 11
Basic Speed 5.25; Move 5
Advantages[15]: Ally: Parents [10]; Talent: Gifted Artist [5]
Disadvantages[-20/-20]: Bad Sight (mitigated by glasses) [-10], Code of Honor (Informal): Universal Virtues [-5], Sense of Duty: Friends, Relatives, Good natured people and Loved ones [-5],
Quirks [-5]: Thrifty (on the miserly side), Lazy, Imaginative, Slow Riser, and Idealistic
Skills [20]
Language [6]: Tagalog (Accented/ Accented) [-2], English (Native/ Native) [6], Latin (Broken/Broken) [2]
Cultural Familiarity [0]: Filipino (native)* [0],
Primary Skills[14]: Artist: Drawing-12 [4]; Computer Operation-12 [2]; Expertise: Philippines-11 [2]Hobby: Gaming-12 [4]; Professional Skill: Game Design-10 [2];
Secondary Skills[4]: Artist: Graphics-10 [default]; Artist: Painting-10 [default]; Dancing-10 [1]; Driving (right side)-11 [2]; Sport: Soccer-11 [2]; Swimming-11 [2], Running-9 [1]
Background Skills[6]: Brawl-11 [1] (Kicking-8 [default]); Cooking-10 [1]; Judo (Kali)-9 [1]; Smallsword-10 [1] (Dual Weapon Strike-7/3 [2]);
*Asians westernized (-1 to other Asians, -2 to Westerners)

If you read the Check modifiers it puts to perspective what he said about competency in skills. The usual skill bonus for a mundane task while not under presure is +3 to +4. :P thats a huge number.

Hmmm... Its hard to judge yourself.

Role-Playing Tips:
Patriotic but in his own way, Nic expresses himself by example, at first glance his virtues may look christian but are in truthe liberal with an emphasis on a sense of justice and fairness.

He used to be quite shy but has overcome it, still it can be seen at how quite he can be around strangers. He has not tendency to break the silence unless complete boredome overcomes him.

Adaptable he can almost talk about anything under the sun, taking particular intrests in the point of view of the other person or persons. He is in the sense curious of their general principles and way of thinking. Conversational wise he can follow almost anyconversation even into an alien topic as long as the other person has the patience to explain what he does not understand.

His own standards of thought are in a sense judgemental although he strains to allways keep an open mind to what another person has to say.

His own conversation is limited unless the person is a gamer or curious about philippine history and point of view. he knows very well never to talk about politics, religion, and gaming philosophy because of the strength of his own views.

Usefullness to the Party
His knowledge of the capital of the Phippines is limited to Makati and San juan. he remembers routes by visual landmarks and is almost unable to remember names of streets unless there is a significant landmark.

In terms of the city night life, he can point you to red light district of makati as well show you a couple of expat hangouts. His basic knowledge of how other countries work can help a foreign PC all the hazards and perks of the country. he makes a great guide when it comes to aspects of streetwise (he defaults these skills). He knows where to get the best deals for pirated materials as well as how a foreigner can get away with a bribe without over paying or how to pack your pirated goods for the trip home.

He also versed in the occult pulse of the country allowing the party to be introduced to some "special" individuals. When it comes to supernatural, he is not afraid of them and has a deep sense of ascestral protection. He can accompany parties on some adventures into haunted or dangerous areas with a "gamer" point of view of what not to do in a situation.

Thirfty he will not spend on more than P30 ($.5) on a meal if he can help it. The most he will be spending would be P60 ($1) unless of course he is treating his loved ones... then he spends as much as P180 ($3). An excuse valid excuse from work will allow him to join the party for a day a week. If the party has business in the country he can connect them since he knows most of the chinese and creole mover and shakers because he used to study with their nephews and sons. When it comes to equipting the characters, his uncle is a gun dealer for daewoo and a friend to the Estradas (a powerful familiy with seedy connections... rumoured to have a stake in the kidnappings).

If the party is out to get other illicite goods such as mj and hard drugs... he can only point to a couple of friendsd who enjoy habit. He can mediate to get a fair deal as well.
MIB#2428

Last edited by nik1979; 09-22-2005 at 01:40 AM.
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #167
OddGamer

Attributes[-10]: ST 9 [-10], DX 10 [0], IQ 10 [0], HT 10 [10]
Secondary Statistics[-12]: HP 11 [4], Will 8 [-10], Per 10 [0], FP 8 [-6]
Advantages [28]: Allies (4 people, 25% each, 12-) [8]; Indepentant Income 20 [20]
Disadvantages[-190]: Coward [-5]; Demophobia (15) [-7]; Dependant (Loved One, Constantly, 0 points) [-120]; Gluttony (15) [-3]; Nearsighted (Mitigator: Glasses) [-10]; Necrophobia (15) [-5]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Severe Shyness [-10]; Unfit [-5]; Very Fat [-5]; Wealth (Poor) [-15]
Quirks[-5]: Forgetful, Slothful, Slow Riser, Tells Jokes Frequently, Truthfulness
Skills[8]: Computer Operation-11 [2]; Computer Programming-9 [2]; Mathematics-8 [1]; RPG-10 [1]; Typing-9 [1]; Video Games-10 [1]
Languages[2]: English (Native/Native) [0], French (Broken, Broken) [2]

Total: -195

Needless to say, I don't think much of myself.
OddGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:24 PM   #168
Steve

Description:

28 year old battle reencactor, earn my living as a software engineer and have the deep feeling I have missed something in these rules. If anything seems odd please ask me so I can check whether I have misunderstood it.

st 11 (10)
dex 12 (40)
iq 13 (60) - IQ 155, documented via Mensa test, before I declined to join
ht 9 (-10) (diabetes)

Hp 11 (+2)
wp 15 (+10) - very stubborn by nature and I never accept excuses from myself
per 9 (-6) - nutoriously gullible
FP 10 (+1)

Attractive (4) - Before I got engaged I rarely had trouble getting women

Wealth Comfortable (10)

Advantages

Combat reflexes (15) - several years of martial arts
Eidetic memory (5) - I have been know to recite poems I learn years ago word for word.
Lightning calculator (2) - Bachelors degree in Applied Maths

Disadvatages
Bad back (-15)
Habit - not sitting with back to door (-1)
Alcohol intolerance (caused by diabetes) (-1)
Horrible hangovers (-1)

Skills

Broad sword 13 (2) - I a sword fighting instructor
Axe 12 (1)
Spear 12 (1)
Poleaxe 12 (1)
Brawling 14 (4) - I used to pick fights with nighclub bouncers when I was bored.
Carousing 12 (8)
Computer programming 14 (12)
First aid 13 (1)
Chess 14 (2)
History 15c 11 (2) - my re-enactment period
Mathemarics 10 (1) - my bachelors degree
Shield 12 (0)
Buckler 13 (1)
Speed reading 14 (4) (went on a course and now can read easily at approx 1200 wpm)
Stage combat 14 (8)
Teaching 10 (0)

It seems to come out to 173 points.
Can anyone tell me whether I have done this correctly?
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #169
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Mark Skarr (Real name withheld upon request)
I forgot a couple of things in the other thread (like the fact that I can't hear, duh), so this is the updated me.
-2 point character

Attributes
ST: 11 (10) HP: 12 (2)
DX: 8 (-40) Will: 12 (0)
IQ: 12 (40) Per: 12 (0)
HT: 10 (0) FP: 9 (-3)

BL: 24
Basic Speed: 4.5
Basic Move: 4
Dodge (yeah, right!): 7

Appearance: Average

Languages: English, Native
Cultural Familiarities: 21st century America; Gaming (1 pt)

Advantages
Rapid Healing (5)
(I heal very rapidly. I always refer to it as my Mutant Healing Ability.)

Perks
High/Low pain threshold (1)
(I am immune to local anethetics and pain killers. Consequently, I have a very good tolerance to pain [at least, that's what the doctor's say]. However, I am very responsive toward pain and tend to shy away from it. However, I can handle low-level constant levels of pain like they're not there. As I'm doing now with a broken toe.)

Disadvantages
Bad Back (-15)
Bad Sight (Nearsighted, Glasses mitigator; -10)
Hard of Hearing (-10)
Honesty (12-; -10)
Overweight (-1)
Phobia (Aichmophobia; -2; 12-; -10)
Selfless (12-; -5)
(Yeah, I've done some really stupid things in my life.)
Stubbornness (-5)

Quirks
General Recommendation: "Fire! And lots of it!"
Plays female characters
Immune to pain killers

Skills
Armoury/TL8 (Small Arms; 1 pt; IQ-1)
(My father has a huge collection of guns, I grew up with guns. Now that he has cancer, whenever I go visit my folks, I clean and maintain all his guns)
Astronomy (1 pt; IQ-2)
Brawling (1 pt; DX)
Computer Operation/TL8 (4 pts/IQ+2)
(I'm an A+ certified computer tech, plus I spend most of my waking hours figuring out problems with computers)
Driving/TL8 (Automobile; 7 pts; DX+2)
(I do a lot of driving. I have never been in an accident, and have rather cleanly avoided the ones that have happened around me.)
Driving/TL8 (Construction equipment; 1 pt; DX)
(Lived on a farm and worked in a salvage yard, know how to run bull dozers, fork lifts and back hoes)
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Security; 4 pts, IQ +1)
Electronics Repair/TL8 (Security; 4 pts, IQ +1)
Expert Skill (Security Systems; 4 pts; IQ)
(I am the go-to guy at work on what a security system will or will not do. How to make it do something and if it's not, why it isn't. And yes, a lot of this job is "stressful" you get to listen to a lot of sirens in your ears and get yelled at by incompetent technicians. This is not user-level functions, but install/repair/maintenance level.)
Fast-Talk (4 pts; IQ +1)
First Aid/TL8 (1 pt, IQ)
Guns/TL8 (Pistol; 1 pt, DX)
Guns/TL8 (Rifle; 1 pt, DX)
Guns/TL8 (Shotgun; 1 pt, DX)
(See armoury as to why I have these skills. I know how to use guns very well, but I have absolutely no ability to HIT anything with them.)
Hobby Skill (RPGs; 2 pts, IQ +1)
Mathematics/TL8 (Applied; 4 pts; IQ)
Occultism (1 pt; IQ -1)
Physics (1 pt; IQ -3)
Research (4 pts; IQ+1)
Swimming (2 pts; HT +1, +1 from Overweight)
Writing (2 pts; IQ)
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #170
belladonna5012

I updated myself, as well, to take account of some of the things about me that have changed in the past few months. And perhaps some change in self-image.

ST 9 [-10]
DX 10 [0]
IQ 13 [60]
HT 9 [-10]
HP 14 [10]
WILL 12 [-5]
PER 12 [-5]
FP 7 [-6]
SPEED: 4.75 [0]
MOVE: 4 [0]
Basic Lift: 16
DMG: Thr 1d-2, Sw 1d-1
ATTRIBUTE TOTAL: 34

I'm not very strong--but I nonetheless have a great deal of lean body mass, at least if the body composition I had in high school is to be believed (my build is similar today). I actually calculated the HP of 14 backward from my estimated weight at 20% body fat--225; the average weight for ST 14 was 220. As for the IQ, I'm reasonably certain that's about where it is; the description of IQ 13 and its effect on my skills seemed reasonable. I lowered my PER and WILL because I worry that a 13 would be an overestimate of them; a 12 seemed more reasonable, though I'm not firm on them. That my HT is below-average and my FP is the minimum allowed for my HT is intentional.

Cultural Familiarity: Western [0]
Language: English, Native [0]
Language: Spanish, Broken [2]
CULTURAL FAMILIARITY/LANGUAGE TOTAL: 2

Had two and a half years of Spanish in high school. Couldn't really hold up my end of a conversation without it being slow, but I think that's what Broken comprehension is anyway.

Ally: caretakers, 100%, 12 or less [10]
Intuition [15]
Luck [15]
Versatile [5]
Perk: Penetrating Voice [1]
Perks: skill familiarities/knacks (+2 default) [3]
Current Affairs/TL8: Headline, Politics
History: Modern American
Mathematics: Pure
Research/TL8
Teaching
Schrodinger's Advantage [?]
ADVANTAGES/PERKS TOTAL: 55

The "Ally" would qualify better as a Patron if not for the comparatively low point value; 75% might actually be better. As for both Intuition and Luck, I know I'm judging myself highly--but I do tend to guess well (sometimes I wonder if it's more akin to Precognition, though that might be pushing it), and I do know something has protected me from my own episodes of foolishness. Schrodinger's Advantage is only there because it's mandatory for all realistic folks, IMO. (Or, well, unknown advantages... whatever.)

I also think I may have Charisma (albeit not advanced social skills), as I've noticed some people act quite differently than normal around me--some find their "rules" changing my way when I'm about; others actually turn nasty. However, this is probably more a net value of 0 than an actual advantage, simply because it's double-edged.

Absent-Mindedness (reduced) [-10]
Bad Sight/Nearsighted [-10]
Mitigator, glasses (-60%)
Chronic Depression/9 [-13]
Chronic Depression/15 w/meds
Mitigator, daily (-60% of difference)
Gluttony/15 [-2]
Indecisive/12 [-10]
Overweight [-1]
Poor [-15]
Unfit 1 [-5]
Quirks [-5]
Paranoia
Responsive
Quirk Miserliness
Quirk Arachnophobia
Quirk Theophobia
Truthfulness
Oversized
Squeamishness
Poor initiative
DISADVANTAGES/QUIRKS TOTAL: -71

I reduced the Absent-Mindedness because there are some things I virtually never forget, such as keys, laptop, or wallet (I've forgotten the first two maybe once each, and the laptop was in a relative's car, thankfully). Further, I don't drift as far out to space as described; I'm thinking more like an unmodified roll to notice something important and none to notice an attempt to communicate with me. I don't think any of the others need justification, aside from the fact that yes, I do have a size quirk apart from Overweight--just by frame and height (6' and my healthy weight would be like 225 pounds), I have trouble getting clothes and the like. Well, that, and I listed more than five quirks... I only took points for five, though.

Accounting (Bookkeeping)-12, IQ-1/A [1]
Computer Operation/TL8-14, IQ+1/E [2]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Headline)-11, IQ-2/E[*]
Current Affairs/TL8 (Politics)-11, IQ-2/E[*]
Games/Video Games/TL8-17, IQ+4/E [12]
...DX-Based Check-14, DX+4/E
Games/RPGs/TL8-13, IQ+0/E [1]
History (Modern American)-9, IQ-4/H[*]
Mathematics (Pure)-9, IQ-4/H[*]
Research/TL8-10, IQ-3/A[*]
Teaching-10, IQ-3/A[*]
Typing-21, DX+11/E [40]
Writing-12, IQ-1/A [1]
* see the relevant Perks
SKILLS TOTAL: 57

The Perk-affected skills are just there to note the things at which I'm better than the suggested default, but I wouldn't rightly have a point in. I think most of the other skills are innocuous enough save for the skill and points in video games and the 40 points in Typing. My video games skill is not nearly as broad as this sheet would suggest, but breaking the skill down by genre and so forth would inflate my point total even more. The Typing skill was simply calculated backward from my actual gwam (which is supposed to be 5 x skill), and I made a conservative estimate.

TOTAL: 77

Pretty high, I know! But consider that 52 of those points are in typing and video games, and, well... Yeah.

Additionally, I'm adding projected changes. Given my college courses this semester, and the fact that college forces me to walk, I project: HT +1 [10], additionally granting FP 8, Basic Speed 5.00, and Move 5; loss of Overweight (I hope) [-1]; Karate at DX-2 [1]; and either Poetry at IQ-1 [1] or Writing at IQ [1]. I don't yet know which of the last two I'll do more of in Creative Writing. That's a total of +13, raising me to 90... Perhaps the Ally should be cropped back to 75% at that point, for -4 and a reduction back to 86, for an actual improvement of +9.

And then I'm making Big Life Changes! Cut the ally back to an appearance of 9 (assume prior reduction to 75%) [-3] and stick me with Disturbing Voice [-10], Unattractive [-5], Social Stigma (second-class citizen) [-5], Status -1 [-5]... and Chronic Depression scaled back to a self-control number of 12 with full negation when mitigated [7], for a net -21. Well, perhaps I'll do better than I expect. And maybe that Charisma I mentioned will come out (it better, if I'm eating a -5 reaction penalty otherwise). Time to start making Luck rolls.
belladonna5012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
players as characters, self statting