View Single Post
Old 11-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #18
Prince Charon

Default Re: 4e Cure Disease badly worded/overpowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I find it fun to give some diseases modifiers to Cure Disease . . . The minor sniffles might get +5, while the plague devastating the land is doing so because it gives -10. For added fun, have certain rare ingredients reduce or eliminate a disease's penalties. That plague might give -20 and be functionally incurable without true love's tears flowers from Dragon Mountain, but be cured at full skill if the recipient is strewn with petals, consumed in the casting. (Or, if you're evil, the petals absorb the plague and become pestilent and dangerous!)
One thought I had for the Fantasy House MD model (or vaguely similar games) combines that with 'the more you know about what you're curing, the better able you are to adjust the spell, and thus the lower the default penalty becomes.' This might also be combined with Spell Techniques for particular diseases or categories of disease ('Healer Chuck specializes in clearing out all sorts of Nausea Demons').

EDIT: In any case, if you don't have the diagnosis right, you might cast the spell casually and get a critical failure due to a level of penalty that you were in no way prepared for.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 11-25-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote