View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Allies and Ally Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I'm not an expert in pretty much anything, but I've been obsessing with games my whole life. Even then I realize that shouldn't carry much weight but my repeated first hand experience is that ignoring problems because you can is a myth: you can never ignore problems in perpetuity. If there is a more pressing issue to address, go ahead and prioritize, but when you ignore the little things long enough, the eventually stop being so little.
I'm really being dense here, honest. I don't see these problems that unifying these traits solves. Can you explain what they are?

Quote:
I don't see what makes your house rules so useful... because I don't know what ones you're using. ;)
They aren't secrets. I document them (I hope) very clearly. Phoenix Imperative p. 11 and Blight Years p. 15 (although really I ought to add Weapon Breakage and Unarmed Attacks there too).

Quote:
It may not seem like a big deal to you, but I've read at least one good thread in the last six months (give or take) exploring issues with the price of Contacts and how not only does it seem too pricey for what you get, you are probably better off just having an Ally designed to fulfill a similar function.
No, I agree Contact needs a fix. I don't see how unifying it with Allies fixes it any better than just fixing it does, though.
Quote:
This goes without saying. No, I mean it; it is a bit insulting that you felt the need to point out the obvious,
I'm sorry. I don't mean to be insulting. I thought it was obvious when I asked why it was necessary and it apparently wasn't so I tried to explain what I meant. What is obvious to you is not always obvious to me, and vice versa.
Quote:
Great... then you can ignore this part of the conversation if it causes you so much distress. Or you can keep participating; that's good as well! Just please remember that those who decide to participate either agree these rules should be streamlined, or don't but just enjoy trying to help someone out who does.
It doesn't cause me distress. You asked if anybody has any house rules that do this or for help creating them. I asked why these rules are necessary, which seems like the best place to start when making house rules. I'd like to help but I can't if I don't understand the goals.
Quote:
Obviously you couldn't have read them before I posted them, but most I considered self-evident hence why I didn't mention them sooner.
I don't understand or see them. I'm sorry.
Quote:
I must confess some confusion as to why this bothers you so much, especially for GURPS... where players are encouraged to adjust the rules as is necessary (but warned of the potential consequences).
It doesn't bother me. You asked for house rules. I asked what are these house rules intended to do. You asked me what I meant by that. Here we are now.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-21-2014 at 05:30 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote