View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #39
Icelander

Default Re: British Military Combatives in the Queen's Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
John's point is good. Most people who teach combative martial arts to rich-world civilians do it on a shoestring with few students, because those arts don't have much place in the rich world. Even hiring them to come down to Oxford or Cambridge one day a week, and training two hours in the morning and two in the afternoon, could work.
Indeed. And such a job could be a good cover for an ex-military, security service or police member of the conspiracy, who would also function as a contact for new recruits, to teach them about security, discretion and safety. Of course, at some point in their initiation, all new recruits would meet with a severe man in a conservative suit, who'd make them sign formidable NDAs before being allowed to see certain material, but the self-defence instructor could be a more regular contact with the central branch for many of the peripheral members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
The only one I know is Bill Wolfe in Vancouver. His story is that he met two of Fairburn and Sykes' students in the Canadian Army in the 1960s and 1970s, studied with them, and started teaching an adapted version called Modern Defendo to various interested people after he retired.
There's also CODA, in the UK. Frankly, though, it's not a priority for me that the name of Fairbairn/FCCT be used. I'm more interested in knowing whether now very old, but potentially still spry, veterans of SAS/SBS service and/or Royal Marine Commandos or the Paras who might have served in Malaysia, Aden or Borneo would have what amounts to the same style in GURPS terms. Or if even younger veterans of the Troubles in Northern Ireland, the Falklands, various peacekeeping missions or even Iraq and Afghanistan might be learning something that is mostly the same in game terms, even if not called by the name.