View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #31
Polydamas

Default Re: British Military Combatives in the Queen's Service

John's point is good. Most people who teach combative martial arts to rich-world civilians do it on a shoestring with few students, because those arts don't have much place in the rich world. Even hiring them to come down to Oxford or Cambridge one day a week, and training two hours in the morning and two in the afternoon, could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Could I make a case for any practisioners that are still spry enough in 2005 to work full-time as instructors to healthy young people, many with a background in military or police work? As far as I know, organised training in the style mostly ended with WWII, i.e. sixty years before the first quick-reaction team started to form.
The only one I know is Bill Wolfe in Vancouver. His story is that he met two of Fairburn and Sykes' students in the Canadian Army in the 1960s and 1970s, studied with them, and started teaching an adapted version called Modern Defendo to various interested people after he retired.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote