View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] (Caribbean by Night) Driving Miss Piggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
"Here am I, send me" is a quote from the Old Testament (God is looking for a prophet, the quote is Isaiah volunteering himself; of note to the story, the job of prophet is implied to be difficult with few rewards, but the right thing to do); some translations write it as "Here I am," but others have it as written in the story. Presumably, that's the version Kit grew up with.
This is all true and identifies the converstations Kit and Alexander have in the allusions behind their dialogue.

To avoid spoilers, let's say Kit Walker prefers the King James text. As does, evidently, Jean-Michel Alexandre. And I, personally. But preferred translation is not necessarily a signifier of specific denonomination, especially not with characters who are likely to have read the Bible in many languages and translations.

Quote:
Wojciechowski is an older man, is Polish, and unless Icelander happens to concentrate his grammar-typos in this one character, is probably speaking English at Accented level. Him using "dilly-dally" seems perfectly appropriate to me.
Wojciechowski isn't Polish-American. He's a Polish immigrant who has spent maybe 6-7% of his lifetime on US soil. He has, in many ways, learned Enlish exceptionally well. It is still his sixth language and one he has not used much in conversation before he was fifty. He learnt English earlier, but only from books. Somewhat idiosyncratically.

Quote:
Just another opinion on it from another American.
Thanks, I'm always looking for feedback. I want Kit to have a mostly 'US Armed Forces muddled' accent, i.e. tell-tale signs that he tried to shed a regional one, but any trained observer should hear that he grew up withing driving range of Matthew McConaghey. Especially if Kit becoves nervous, upset or otherwise preoccupied.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-06-2020 at 01:15 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote