View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #39
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Martial Arts Style Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Even with the requirement for Thaumatology, one could argue that College! is inferior to College, especially since Colleges default to Thaumatology-6. If we take the example of the 120 CP build, I can either purchase College! at ([IQ+Wildcard Magery]+8) or I can purchase Thaumatology at ([IQ+Wildcard Magery]+28) and receive every College at ([IQ+Magery]+22). Of course, you could use the optional rule that Thaumatology suffers from the Rule of 20 to artificially make College! a better choice, but it would just be manipulating optional rules to make one choice better than it would be by RAW.
That is only one arrow in the quiver in College!'s as per RAW there are: "let casters attempt any spell within the college at full skill" (sic, Power-Ups 7: Wildcard Skills p. 16), Thaumatology's more restrictive 1/3 Prerequisite count (p. 75), or the option of "use prerequisite count divided by two, three (as suggested in GURPS Thaumatology), or more" "If that [default option] seems over generous" (Power-Ups 7: Wildcard Skills p. 16)

Though the way it is worded I don't think whoever wrote it realized that the larger the number divided by the lower the penalty would be. ie 1/3 is less then 1/2 not more.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 08-17-2020 at 06:01 AM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote