View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Limpet mine damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post

I do not think the mines are intended to do maximum damage, for reasons pointed out by yourself, Phil, and Michele.
That is correct. "Maximum possible damage" is for contained explosions. Merely touching the explosive isn't enough (although that'll still mean the full damage roll with no attenuation for distance, which can be rather bad). Now a land mine (not limpet mine) fully in contact with the ground below and a vehicle above definitely would do maximum damage . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post

Regarding the High-Tech cites: I believe the intention of the two mold-able TL8 types is that the higher damage comes (at least in part) from being designed to fit into cracks and similar small openings, where less of the explosive force is wasted. Detcord benefits from being wrapped around something, rather than merely being placed on it, and cutting cord is a type of shaped charge.
Extrudable explosive is squirted into gaps like caulk, while foam explosive is injected from a pressurized dispenser; both measures are expressly to ensure that the blast is "contained" for maximum effect. As for det cord and cutting cord, careful wrapping is considered just as good for this effect. All of these examples are expressly cases of skillful application of demolition explosives out of combat by somebody using Explosives (Demolition).

At any rate, do note the progression:
  • At distance: Damage is ×1, divided by (10 × distance in yards) in vacuum, (3 × distance in yards) in air, (2 × distance in yards) for FAE in air, or (distance in yards) in water. Use this for distant combat explosions.
  • At touch on exterior: Damage is ×1. Use this for direct hits in combat.
  • Tamped or shaped on exterior (High-Tech, pp. 182-183): Halves explosive weight needed. Effectively, damage is ×1.4. Use this for most demolition.
  • Fully contained on exterior (p. B415): Maximum damage. Effectively, damage is ×1.7. Use this for demolition where explosive is in gap or applied over full surface of object.
  • Internal (p. B415): Wounding, and effectively damage, is ×3. Use this for explosive bullets in flesh, for instance. In the head (e.g., cyberpunk brain-bombs), use ×4! For targets with No Vitals or Homogenous, treat as tamped (×1.4) only.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote