View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
martinl

Default Re: More Vor questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Those are all a bit too much like fanfic. Or grand opera. I had in mind more "Miles meets and falls in love with someone." It isn't as if he didn't fall in love with someone new every couple of years before he was thirty, often while still being in love with the previous ones.
It isn't as if he didn't get involved with a "grand opera" every couple of years before he was thirty either.

If you want to keep his youthful horn-dogginess while discarding his youthful crazed exploits, that's your call of course. In my opinion one of the themes of the books is Miles growing up, and learning to deal with his own insecurities and ambitions in a realistic and moral manner.

As for meets and falls in love, I already said:
Quote:
odds are good that Miles falls in love with several other folks before he dies without doing anything technically improper. The technically proper things he does do could still raise a large kerfluffle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
But it's also "What literary effect do I want from this backstory?" I don't want to assume something that would generate drama unless I want the Ghost of Miles to haunt this campaign.
The GoM already haunts the campaign in that the canon is mostly Miles doing a double gainer into the middle of trouble. You can posit some sort of historical phase change where just as the published canon ends Miles life becomes normal, but it would be a serious change in the narrative.

In your position I would work out rough details for several further adventures and a double handful of Noodle Incidents, and then use them interchangeably with the existing canon required.

You're obviously considering something along those lines, since you're wondering if he screwed around.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote