View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #24
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Path/Book Magic] 'Grimoire' worldlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Hm...

So Homeline date and crazy Centrum projector schemes?
Pretty much, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Hm...Surely inertia collapsed in the 90s when Van Zandt didn't build conveyors, which somehow caused coordinated terror attacks (though they failed).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The 9/11 attacks should not have historical inertia, as there were so many ways to have prevented them (it was only a fatal combination of bad policy and bad luck allowed them to occur). For example, there were serious suggestions during the hijacking era of the 80s to separate the cockpit from the cabin of passenger planes, but they were defeated by the Reagan administration. In any timeline where Reagan did not win the 1980 election, the regulation would have likely been implemented, with such separations becoming the industry standard. In such timelines, 9/11 would have been impossible, as the hijackers would have been unable to access the cockpits.
Regan was definitely president in the 1980s, both on Homeline and on Grimoire-1.

Like a lot of other writers I've seen, I tend to conflate Real Life history with Homeline history even when I shouldn't. I'm really not sure how to express in that kind of post 'the non-secret history of this worldline looked roughly identical to our real life history prior to the point of divergence, even though there was also a secret history going on that I don't think matches things going on in Real Life.' Homeline has most likely encountered a number of close parallels that match the major and most of the minor historical events of our timeline.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote