View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #154
Stormcrow

Default Re: Independent Income at later TL stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
40 hours of work, yes, but typically a 40-hour-a-week job takes up more than 40 hours each week - a 10 minute commute each way and an hour of lunch each day
This is below the resolution of GURPS. Not only does GURPS not attempt to simulate economic systems, it also does not attempt to simulate workplace policies. If your job requires 40 hours a week, mark off 40 hours and move on. GURPS is not concerned with time for lunch breaks or commuting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
The use of time use sheets is (per B499) an optional rule to begin with.
I didn't say, "You have to use Time Use Sheets, so there's your 40 hours"; I said the Time Use Sheets demonstrate the default assumption of job hours in GURPS.

Quote:
The 40hr statement is guidance for players to assume only "if unsure". Accordingly I think it would be a mistake to consider 40 hours a working assumption.

It would be odd for the rules to establish a working assumption that defies the possibility of part-time employment, gig work, or non-traditional occupations, and in fact where the actual rules about Jobs are provided, there are no such restrictions.
It doesn't "defy" anything. The job's description (p. B516) given by the GM "should give hours..." But if your character has a job and the GM hasn't specified hours for you, the Time Use Sheet tells you to assume it's 40. Not because this number is special to the Time use Sheet, but because it's an obvious number to assume.

Nothing in the GURPS rules hinges on how many hours your job takes. The only thing that matters is how much free time it leaves you.

Quote:
That passage is specifically framed as an "example" of how II could reduce your need to work,
Yes, it was an example. Did you notice that that example just happened to use 40 hours? As if that number is pretty unremarkable or something?

Quote:
certainly not to established an assumption about a rule that is not stated anywhere.
I didn't say they were trying to establish the assumption or that 40 hours was a rule. I pointed out one place where they told you to assume 40 hours if you were unsure, and another place where an example started with 40 hours. It's just an assumption to make if you haven't got any better information.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote