Old 01-03-2023, 08:08 PM   #15
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Talent/Spell of the Week: Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Blimmer, Dwarf wizard, age 20
ST 12, DX 11, IQ 9, MA 10
Talents: Crossbow, Literacy...
A great build to be sure, but not a great wizard. So many of the more attractive spells aren't available until IQ 10 through 11 (Lock/Knock, Dazzle, Shadow, Wall, Illusion, Reverse Missiles, even the humble Rope). You don't even get a decent missile spell until you're at IQ 12 to take Fireball. The beauty of playing a wizard is having this diverse bag of tricks. At IQ 9 with ST 12 you can have Summon Wolf, and you even have the ST to run it a few turns, but that's about as flashy as you can get. Our players quickly tired of playing that kind of wizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
You mean that no one saw the benefit of a wizard bringing an entourage of apprentices with Aid Spell along for an adventure?
Wait, what? I can bring as many PCs as I want? Thank you GM! Nah, it was up to the GM, but players were usually limited to 2 characters per adventure. We usually had four and sometimes five players, so the board got crowded fast. Sure if all but one player brought apprentice wizards with Aid spells, the starring wizard with the high IQ could have a lot of fun, but everyone else might get just a little bored. If my wizard could bring a small army, I think (know) I'd rather bring a bunch of guys with halberds and chainmail instead of a gaggle of apprentice wizards - LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
I sort of did that with my Goblin and Giant wizard pair. The Giant is sort of like an entourage.
I love that pairing and I think it's brilliant! Wish I'd thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Just because Aid is IQ 9 doesn't mean that it can't prove useful to a character already far advanced beyond 32 points. If you plan on doing some searching or scrying, or anticipate needing to assert control over an elemental you created the day before, you might find Aid pretty handy to buff your IQ.
Agreed, it's better to have the Aid spell and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. I gave it to my own PC wizards, just never had much call to use it.

Last edited by Steve Plambeck; 01-05-2023 at 08:56 PM.
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote