View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 02:10 AM   #39
Cheeseball
Banned

Default Re: Ideas for a New long-term Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton View Post
I'm going to be perfectly honest.

There's something of a persistent problem in society with not letting women characters in media be anything but attractive twenty somethings and, whilst I don't want to get too heavily into it, 32 is not as old as you probably think it is.

This is a character who is a lot of things a person could plausibly be but through the combination becomes pretty hard to suspend disbelief. Just to give an idea:
- Less than 1% of adult women in America are six feet tall or more.
- It's hard to say how many people are "beautiful" but generally naturally beautiful women are probably not too eager to go into male dominated professions when well, unwanted attention can be really tiring.
- Enough of a prodigy to graduate college when most people just graduated high school(side note: what was her major?)
- Possesses whatever inherent qualities one needs to have to avoid flunking out of special forces training.
- No major flaws or quirks.

Now imagine you're her for a second. You're a prodigy that graduated from college at very young and whose always had everyone telling you how smart, beautiful, etcetera. You are and are gifted to the point that, if you applied yourself, you could go down any career path you want. You could become a doctor, a physicist, a CEO, hell maybe you could one day even become the president. Now ask yourself a question. If nothing else I think answering it will help you flesh out what kind of person she is.

Why would you want to become a SEAL?
This would be the answer that the character would give to the same question:

Without going sugary, I just wanted to be a SEAL and do SEAL stuff. Plus, I liked the risk of having to get on a ****ing ship if I failed. It's kinda cool if you think about it. That was my why.
Cheeseball is offline   Reply With Quote