View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #15
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: Professional Soldiers

I can see that I need to narrow down my question considerably. :-)

I can change my world any way I want, and I am a creative guy and can come up with a multitude of reasons as to why things work in a certain way. That is not the problem and not the issue.

It is not an issue of finely crafted vs. Enchanted and the benefits of them. I assume that people will invest smartly, in both, since both are available in the price lists.

I also assume that there is no shortage affecting the prices in the book, because the same arguments can be used to state there is too high of a supply.

I am after what the stated economy, and prices in the book, RAW, would mean for a society that is mainly Feudal. The prices already kind of decide if we have a late medieval period or an early version, since those prices reflect how much a piece of equipment would cost in weeks of works for the buyer. I don't quite know what that time period is yet. Do the prices reflect single-order weapons or large factories that churn them out by the barrel?

So, if we had a veteran soldier (5 or 25 years of service doesn't really matter), how well should he be equipped. How much of his wages could he have saved up, considering that he probably has a family to support. How much could he borrow like the Roman conscripts bought their equipment and then had to work it off? Or how much has a mercenary invested in his own survival. Especially considering that most weapons of good quality and enchanted ones would keep a lot of their value. Most likely a soldier could work his whole light without being zapped by magid destroying spell. So they could basically walk around with their pension investment on them and get the bonus of a higher chance of reaching retirement as well.

Some would of course spend it all on the good things in life or send it all home to his extended family. But on average? Compared to what other professions invest in their gear, shops, carts, boats, ships, land, or stock, and at the given list prices and wages in the book. What would RAW have as a consequence if we didn't enforce changes through the setting or started to make big assumptions?

And then take this up a notch to poor nobles, rich nobles, and down to part-time militia or the newly conscripted farmer?

I want a baseline of sorts, that I then can adjust if it doesn't fit my setting or my taste in house rules that affect prices and such.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote