View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #155
Icelander

Default Aquatic Vile Vortices, Ultraterrestials and Deep Ones

I'm reading Sanderson's Invisible Residents: The Reality of Underwater UFOS and can happily report that Sanderson merrily endorses the idea that the Vile Vortices can drift, grow and contract, not to mention that he is not at all certain of the exact location of the twelve existing ones, nor indeed that there are only twelve of them.

It is this sort of open-minded unorthodoxy in eccentric occult theories that I want to see. Allows for easy contortion into any cosmology that fits the campaign, not to mention that it allows for many seemingly knowledgeable NPCs who have radically different views on the fundamental thaumatological mysteries.

Also, there are totally hostile undersea civilizations. Obvious, really. Of course, in my campaign, while they might emerge from our oceans, near the Vile Vortices, their true homes are other oceans, in other worlds.

In my campaign, the Vile Vortex of the 'Bermuda Triangle' (neither a triangle, nor really properly associated with Bermuda) in the Caribbean contains at least some connections to a world of the Nommo, who are more remnisicent of a hybrid humanoids and acquatic mammals like seals than they are ichthyoid or batrachian.

The Vile Vortex outside Rio de Janeiro apparently leads to an even darker and more hostile underwater civilization of aquatic ultraterrestials, very much in the style of the Deep Ones of Lovecraft, and whom I'm still looking for a good Brazilian Portuguese name for.

Any suggestions for other Vile Vortices (either ones of the 'official' twelve or a new one that isn't accounted for in this scheme) where I should note a lot of fish-people, merman or Deep One activity?

Or for local legends of aquatic civilizations anywhere in the world that I should grab?

Last edited by Icelander; 04-25-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote