View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #24
Rupert

Default Re: Detailed athletics rules, and male vs female muscle, basic speed, performance.

While they are 0-point features in 4e (I think in 3e they were 1-point perks), Human females do not have Easy Childbirth or Light Menses, and do get to carry offspring to term. Males get to have 'No Childbirth', 'No Menses', and 'No pregnancy', which if we're being all picky and ultra-realistic about things, is probably worth some points.

Males get more ST, and a raft of smaller bonuses to running speed and related endeavours over the short to long term that are generally too small to fit into GURPS, and are more resistant to many poisons (both due to greater body mass on average and a more aggressive {but more failure-prone} liver). Females get a small bonus over days plus length endurance races, plus better resistance to shock, plus better disease resistance, better sense of smell and hearing (on average, though how much of that is environmental is arguable), and their normally smaller hands and fingers are better at very fine manual work (due to being smaller). Most of this is also below GURPS' resolution.

I suppose that GURPS ends up like real life in this - the obvious extra strength of men is large enough that everyone knows about it, everything else aside from women having to bear children tends to disappear into the noise (and the latter doesn't come up in most GURPS campaigns I've seen).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote