View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
Refplace

Default Supers Roleplaying Games

So someone posted in another forum that they thought GURPS was the best system for Supers roleplaying. I asked why but it was a thread derailment and I am curious so asking the question here.
I have played and/or run Hero Systems Champions, GURPS Supers Third Edition, Villains and Vigilantes, Super World, Palladium supers (forget what it was called) and at least one other from about the time of V&V.
I have friends who play Mutants and Masterminds but have not done so myself.
Of those the best in my opinion was Champions.
However Champions lacked some things we could do in GURPS Supers.
  • Champions: Cinematic and able to do a variety of tasks, point build system so fairly balanced. Weakness was skills and the Speed system.
  • GURPS Third Edition: Great depth but used Power Groups which had some balacne issues. Also too ahrd to design new balanced power groups.
  • GURPS Fourth Edition: Ran some one off games and played in more but not a full campaign yet. However it has the depth and realitist or cinematic options and can handle any charecter I have thought of from the comics. Weakness you need to use a Bucket of Points system to keep people from going crazy on skills. High attributes can make generalists too easy so Talents, Ant-Talents and advantages encouraged. Default ST is too pricey for heavy lifting but this is fixed if you use "Knowing Your Own Strength" Pyramid 3/83. Building powers can take awhile so charecter creation can be cumbersome.
  • Palliadium Just a bad system.
  • Super World Was fun but dated and I honestly dont remember that much about it anymore
  • Villains and Vigilantes: Random system so some balance issues. New version coming out anytime now as they had a kickstarter.
  • Mutants and Masterminds: I understand this is another random system?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote