View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #44
Tom H.

Default Re: Study of Folklore and Magic in Texas and the Gulf Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
What is it a museum of? The Moody family history?
You know, I don't actually remember everything, but it was a bit eclectic. I used to go up there to walk a track along the circumference with great views for a break. Sure, there was some of the family and company history, but there were other just general historical pictures and patriotic artifacts too I believe.

I do remember a handwritten note of advice on display that was passed down from an elder Moody to his sons. There was also probably an exhibit about the major Texas City disaster in which a ship of fertilizer blew up in the port in 1947. (Reviewing, it is indicated as one of the worst industrial accidents in U.S. history.)

Texas City is close by in the Galveston Bay. In fact, the BP refinery there was notorious for having accidents. We actually witnessed the aftermath of an explosion there from the American National tower in Galveston one day at work. We all felt the shock and got to observe the lingering black clouds of smoke during the day.

Going back to 1947, that year keeps resurfacing: the Roswell crash, Kenneth Arnold's flying saucer sightings at Mount Rainier, and now the Texas City disaster.

~~~

Also, I had forgotten to tip you off to some other campaign tie-ins.

Just 30 miles inland up Interstate 45 from Galveston in the Clear Lake area of Houston is NASA's Johnson Space Center. Who can pass up some paranormal or conspiratorial connections with such an advanced institution?

And if you're looking for more college locations, there is the nearby, albeit smaller, University of Houston Clear Lake campus. (I even participated in a gaming club there for a time.)

Anyway, I hope all goes well with your gaming.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote