View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #78
Sindri

Default Re: Clothing in Spaaaaaaace!

Excellent comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
What would a person or group that wanted to look innovative and future-oriented wear? Maybe collor-changing jumpsuits that automatically deployed gloves and hoods to supplement their internal climate control systems in cold weather. Or even inflated bubble helmets for space.

See Rainbow and Morphwear from UT p.189. Then combine with a Space Biosuit and for 14% more than the cost of your spacesuit it's the only suit of clothes you'll ever need.
Biosuits are quite excellent. As are bubble helmets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
You also need a sense of history so you can figure out what's coming into style, what's going out of style, and what's been out long enough to be pleasantly retro.
I've heard of the 20 year cycle, has anyone claimed any other long term cycles? Also are there any standard reactions to features of previous fashions? Basically is there anything I can read to help me simulate long term fashion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
I take a somewhat (I think) minority view on this issue, though. For one thing, I don't find the presence of superscience per se unrealistic, for a story set more than a modest distance into the future, I find the absence of it unrealistic. That is, I consider it radically improbable that our current scientific understanding is the last word, any more than Daltonian atomic theory or Newtonian mechanics were that.

Which is not to say that anything and everything goes, only that some things do, and the 'impossibility' should be used consistantly and not be a universal solution to everything.

(Any more than our own technology is. We in 2012 live surrounded by huge amounts of superscience, as viewed from even as recently as 1912, and by sheer unadulterated magic as viewed from 1012 A.D., yet our technology still doesn't solve all problems.)
I kind of agree actually. While I think that we are approaching a scientific plateau it still seems odd for there to be no new stuff coming out of the blue from areas like quantum gravity so I think it's reasonable for there to be some superscience.

Last edited by Sindri; 05-06-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote