View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
Lord Dynel

Default Re: What's my counterpoint for this observation about advantages/disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
I think your friend's unrealistic results was due to trying to minimize the number of disadvantages on their character sheet.

You can get -50 points by taking Bully* [-10], Greed* [-15], Low Pain Threshold [-10], and Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5], Selfish* [-5], and Stubbornness [-5]. In my opinion, a Filthy Rich person possessing all of these disadvantages would be quite plausible.
Yeah, I think that was his point, actually. He was musing that he couldn't be kind, well-educated, capable, and rich due to the constraints of his character points. The only way he this would be achieved, without a boatload of disadvantages, would be a higher point total game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Yeah, his "point" smells badly of "But I want MORE BETTER stuff than everyone else". It's like complaining about how you got DX 14 IQ 14 like everyone else and now you can't afford ST 18 too (instead of the ST 10 everyone else settled for). Well, no, of course not. You spent the points on IQ and DX instead. Feel free to shuffle things around to get whatever you prioritize.

Unless he's proposing that everyone should be wealthy, at which point that's asking the campaign limit to be raised for that mandatory advantage. Which is legit if you want to do that, of course.
Truthfully, Bruno, I don't believe his intent was that he wanted more stuff than everyone else. I talk up GURPS on its ability to have, more-or-less, pretty realistic characters when you really want to. I think his intent was to dispute that claim instead of wanting more "stuff" for his character. He did mention at one point that being rich should afford him better education, the ability to have people train him skills and abilities, and not necessarily have to be a cripple or an a**hole in exchange for that. I think closer to his exact words were "why should I be less educated or less trained just because I'm rich? Or why do I have to be a cripple or an a-hole in exchange for it?"

And I'm of two minds, to be honest. One hand, I can see his point. Sometimes you have to be stubborn or have one eye to get those much needed points for the options you really want. But the other part of me knows that the points are a balancing factor. And disads give a good opportunity to flesh out your character, too, just like advantages do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Pretty much nailed it. Wealth is really powerful in modern games. The player can (and usually will) bankroll the other characters, have easy and high end transport, can pay to access things others can't even dream of getting, get th best guns, cars, electronics, armor, etc.

And for really high levels of wealth, they won't even tax their ability to buy stuff.

At a constant point value, the high cost of Filthy Rich does mean making sacrifices. If he wants it all, he wants to be a higher point value character than the group agreed on.

So yeah, he can be Filthy Rich, have great stats, be very skilled, and have only a few character-defining disadvantages.

That person is vaguely called a well-adjusted Batman. Or Tony Stark.

(though yes, both have pretty epic disads)

But the point (ahem) is that to as good as everyone else AND Filthy Rich means you're higher points than everyone else. That's how GURPS and point-buy works.
My thoughts exactly, sir!
Lord Dynel is offline   Reply With Quote