View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 03:54 AM   #133
coronatiger

Default Session 32 (2020-02-29)

Thoughts on June 13th

Olivia and I spotted two boogeymen in the moonlight. I fired three arrows towards them, but missed, because they were so far away. Fortunately, they didn’t notice the projectiles that flew past them. I hoped the boogeymen were like the goblins last night, just out on a stroll, but they seemed to be following the tracks of our horses, and came closer. I shot one of them, and the other tried to run, but he got an arrow in the back. I didn’t want to leave Olivia alone so I could check on the boogeymen, but Va’lyndra and Leopold woke up about fifteen minutes later.

I told them about the boogeymen and asked Va’lyndra if she could go and check on them. “Please?” She could see them from the camp and determined that they were dead. Her elven eyes impressed me.

Once Ilzo got up, we had breakfast and took off. We came across a ruined outpost and gave it a cursory search, but found nothing of interest, so we moved on.

Thoughts on June 14th

According to Leopold, the temple of the undead was only a couple of hours away, and probably swarming with boogeymen. The notes on the map said the temple lay “under a hill and north of a lake, probably outside the city”. A city was indeed marked on the map, but I expected it to be as ruined and overgrown as other settlements around here, although likely inhabited by boogeymen.

The heavy rain made everyone miserable, even with various water-proofing measures. When we spotted two boogeymen patrolling half a kilometer away, I wasn’t in the mood for running after them. They hadn’t seen us yet, and were out of range of my bow. Ilzo discovered that his sling was missing. He had dropped it in the boogeyman ambush two days ago.

We continued searching for the temple. When we topped a ridge, we came upon a crude wooden watch tower a hundred meters away. Well, calling it a tower was a bit generous; it was only about four meters tall, more an elevated platform than an actual tower. Two boogeymen stood on top of it, and three in front, and they saw us as soon as we saw them.

I drew my bow and told the others we needed to get away. Ilzo untied the rope to his pack horses, but the others turned away. I aimed at one of the boogeymen on the ground and fired, taking him down. Ilzo started towards the tower. Leopold gathered Ilzo’s pack horses.

Having drawn the boogeymen’s attention away from Olivia, I called out to Ilzo that we were fleeing, and he too dashed away. Some arrows followed us, but only one did actual damage, striking Ilzo’s horse, Fearless. Ilzo and Leopold were hit, too, but their armor shielded them from injury.

Once we were back out of sight from the watch tower, I called a halt. I ordered Leopold to provide security while Olivia took care of Fearless and the rest of us dealt with the watch tower. We couldn’t let them alert their friends to our presence. Va’lyndra lent Ilzo a magic ring that made him look blurry when he put it on.

We returned on foot, and indeed, one of them was running towards the city. “He’s mine! You take the tower!” I declared, and dashed after him. All the running to reach Olivia the last week seemed to have paid off, for I zipped along, closing the distance between us at a voracious speed. At a hundred meters, I stopped and took aim. My arrow took him in the back, and he stumbled, but started to get up again. After two more arrows, he stopped moving.

I whirled around towards the tower. When I had it in sight again, it lay in shambles on the ground, and Ilzo was busy decapitating fallen foes. Va’lyndra and he had everything under control, so we returned to Olivia and Leopold.

Fearless wore bandages, but Va’lyndra felt she had to do something more, so she talked to the horse, using a potion of animal speech, and fed it a healing potion. She turned to Ilzo and told him his horse was rude. All the horses were reluctant to go on, telling the elf that something scary lay in our direction of travel, so Va’lyndra felt she had to bribe them with horse snacks.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote