View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #9
phiwum

Default Re: Shifting multihex figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The 7-hex dragon engaged from the side, might want to consider shifting sideways, pushing all the smaller figures and hopefully knocking some down.

Or fly and declare themselves higher than the ground figures can engage them.

When engaged by several flying figures, I like to move to the highest altitude where a falling figure cannot pull up before they hit the ground, and then push them so they fall and crash.
Yes, unless the dragon fighters are very lucky or clever, you should be able to shift sideways. But keep in mind that RAW says you can't push back if the figure has nowhere to escape to. In a cave, this can happen, but mostly it will be possible only if the guy drawing the map wants to give the dragon hunters a break.

Out in the open, the dragon has huge advantages. He can breathe fire with penalties only due to height (-1 DX per ten feet). Better have some good missile or at least thrown options (weapons or spells).

A seven-hex dragon stops 5 hits. I'm thinking that Shostak was optimistic about a party of four 36 pt. characters' chances if it's outdoors, depending of course on the weapon and spell options. But if they know they're facing a dragon and can lay their hands on some fireproofing potions, it all changes. I'm thinking about letting the players know that there is a dragon and allowing them to buy two or three fireproofing potions. Sadly, I've already decided there is a glut of such potions, due to a successful gargoyle hunt by NPCs, but this could change if a dragon is in the area.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote