View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #210
Anaraxes

Default Re: 80s Clothing for a rich Valley Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Special Agent Maria Lucia de Guerra Estevez would have Calvin Klein, Gloria Vanderbilt and Jordache jeans, I guess. Were there particular brands more associated with California/LA/Valley Girls?
I think you nailed it. Guess is another possibility, but I think they were more wanna-be. And Chic really weren't. (Their unfortunately-designed logo often caused them to be referred to as "hick" jeans, even in my rural hick hometown where plenty of people had them...)

Quote:
Does anyone have any ideas for the impractical-as-actual-winter-wear, but stereotypically 80s Valley Girl clothing she might have brought along to Maine?
LA basically doesn't have winter. Even her time at Stanford would rarely have seen a day reach freezing. She'd have the ski gear she got for trips to Lake Tahoe (a ~4 hour drive from Stanford), and probably very little else.

For 80s flavor, she'd have a few sweaters -- a fuzzy one "too magical to touch", as per the J. Geils Band; let's call upon Rebecca de Mornay here, because you can't get more iconic than "Risky Business". Also, a cardigan or two to go with the button-down Oxford prep shirts and Izod polos, even though wearing them actually for warmth wasn't the thing. Long-sleeved sweatshirts, though she might have left behind the one with the artfully-ripped neck a la Flashdance in favor of her Stanford sweats and/or hoodie.

Quote:
I'm looking for neon-coloured ski clothing that goes with Moon Boots and pink earwarmers
Pink earwarmers? Well, look no further than Brooke Shields, also famously the model for Calvin Klein jeans as well as kindly appearing to model the cardigan in the link above. (Inspirational looks on that page with Brooke, but alas, few if any brand names. Piece-by-piece examples here.)

North Face seems a likely brand, having been founded in San Francisco. Patagonia was also around and doing neon colors in the 80s. Both of them had reputations as expensive yuppie stuff (not as junk, though, just that you're paying for the logo). Frank Corelli has stuff at least as good at half the price.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 04-02-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote