View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 01:34 AM   #50
Skarg

Default Re: IQ to power spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Higher IQ wizards casting higher IQ spells isn't an effect of any house rule, it's how the original rules work, so I don't see your point in mentioning this.
I don't have the energy at this point to re-elaborate each of my examples in hopes they'll become clearer to you.

The points of all those examples had to do with what I've written before: shifting mana to IQ and away from ST moves the most important effect of ST for wizards (i.e. mana) from the least-compelling attribute for wizards (ST) to the most-compelling attribute for wizards (IQ), and that is both a balance issue in terms of the relative ability of different wizard designs, and also effectively makes some wizard designs that could be built with the original system (i.e. wizards with high IQ but not much mana) impossible to build.

Oh, also it seems to me like a power boost when compared to the original game, given to wizards for every IQ point they spend. That's why I mentioned the 8 12 12 wizard with mana equal IQ is nearly as good as a 36 point wizard under the original rules (and 8 11 13 is like 37 points, and a party with an 8 8 16 wizard with some or all of the party's heroes knowing the Aid spell would be rather powerful...). Meanwhile fighters will still be about the same 32-point balance level they were in the original game. (And that's not even considering the 500 XP head start per starting IQ point the new RAW XP rules give.)

Just saying and trying to explain what I see are issues that would tend to have me not set mana equal to IQ, unless I wanted those effects.

(There are also players who have suggested making physical talent points based on ST and/or DX rather than IQ, who also like that and don't see a problem with it, though it seems to me to have rather the same sort of issues.)

Last edited by Skarg; 07-25-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote