View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #26
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Naruto like campaign, beginner needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLaNoche View Post
Thanks for that Kelly (fellow Canadian!),
Excellent, our takeover of the forum proceeds! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLaNoche
that it really detailed, and I will have to go over that a few times before I can say I got a handle on what you are saying.
Feel free to ask questions, of course! Hopefully, we can clear up any confusion.

Quote:
I have BS, Martial Arts and Powers, but I do not have the Power-ups 8: limitations. I'm thinking I will need that as a lot of the work I am doing is based off limitations on the powers...
Well, Powers already covers a lot of those. I would say that Powers is probably the more important one to get. That said, Power-Ups are pretty cheap purchases, so it's probably worth getting it. I'd also recommend Power-Ups 5: Enhancements, which also has a bunch of useful stuff for a project like this.

Quote:
he has gained some distance and is able to perform a concentration/gesture/genjitsu/whatever to boost the power of his fireball attack. [...] Instead he decides to use Sutōndifensu (Stone Defense), possible also using a concentration turn to beef it up.
Allowing these sorts of boosts to abilities is another benefit of using a power modifier - Powers goes into a variety of "switches" a power can have, traits that all the abilities in them share that don't necessarily modify the cost, but do affect play. Allowing extra turns of concentration to boost Chi abilities sounds exactly like such an option.

Quote:
On Lee's turn, he uses his fireball and it is on target. InLaNoche crosses his arms in front of him focusing his chi. At that instant, his forarms become like stone and absorb X of the damage.

So it would be a reflex action, and should not have a duration for more than the action/turn (so I would still take the multiple attempts a -4 to each succession). I also agree that is should be a skill test of some type, but that would be to make sure he focused and got his arms up in time. Also, this would not protect from behind, to it is limited to just his arms.
I think my build does this. The Requires Active Defense limitation means that it requires a roll, just like a block defense, representing the necessity of moving his arms into the way. Not being able to defend against an attack from the rear is already a feature of requiring an active defense, so that's not an additional limitation. It sounds to me like he could use this defense to attempt to defend against any attack coming from his front, not just ones specifically aimed by the attacker at his arms, so Arms Only isn't really a appropriate limitation.

Quote:
A more powerful (higher rank) version will encompass the whole body, and may persist for a minute or 2, but that will be later.
To build that, I'd remove the Active Defense limitation, but leave on the Costs Chi. Putting any sort of cost like costs FP, cost HP, etc. onto a normally always-on ability like Damage Resistance turns it into one that requires a turn to activate. To make it still something you can turn on in response to an attack, that's when you'd add Reflexive.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote