View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #22
InLaNoche

Default Re: Naruto like campaign, beginner needs help

Thanks for that Kelly (fellow Canadian!), that it really detailed, and I will have to go over that a few times before I can say I got a handle on what you are saying. I have BS, Martial Arts and Powers, but I do not have the Power-ups 8: limitations. I'm thinking I will need that as a lot of the work I am doing is based off limitations on the powers...

To get a correction on what I really want, both of you are almost hitting the mark. To give an example, InLaNoche is fighting Lee. the fight is going back and forth. Lee decides to go for a powered up fireball attack. he has gained some distance and is able to perform a concentration/gesture/genjitsu/whatever to boost the power of his fireball attack. InLanoche sees this coming and is in no condition to dodge or close the gap. Instead he decides to use Sutōndifensu (Stone Defense), possible also using a concentration turn to beef it up. On Lee's turn, he uses his fireball and it is on target. InLaNoche crosses his arms in front of him focusing his chi. At that instant, his forarms become like stone and absorb X of the damage. He screams out at the effort, and is pushed back several feet, his feet cutting a line through the earth, the wrappings of his forearms fall to the ground torn to shreds, the earth charred around him, but he still stands...

So it would be a reflex action, and should not have a duration for more than the action/turn (so I would still take the multiple attempts a -4 to each succession). I also agree that is should be a skill test of some type, but that would be to make sure he focused and got his arms up in time. Also, this would not protect from behind, to it is limited to just his arms. A more powerful (higher rank) version will encompass the whole body, and may persist for a minute or 2, but that will be later.

As for damage, I don't want powers to be too over the top, and I want to try and keep HP at about normal. Also having Roll with Blow as a must for all PCs and major NPCs. I am dropping death from the game (remember, kids at the age of 9), and instead going for KOs, and possible comas, crippling and such for things that are extreme, but for the most part, I want it to be like a cartoon to them. Flashy, people being thrown around, and some humor. So with the PCs having maybe a slight boost the the 10 HP (again, newish to this system so room for change is still here) most attacks at 2d will have the chance to hit hard.

Again, may scale this, once I have some characters done up and play test it a bit.

Last edited by InLaNoche; 04-10-2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: incomplete response
InLaNoche is offline   Reply With Quote