View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #63
Icelander

Default Re: E13: Venus in Robes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I don't know just what atmosphere you were trying to evoke by choosing Leonard Cohen as background music to the story, but it's doing creepy unpleasantness really well for me.
Well, I'm not much of an artist, so I'm afraid that most of that is due to verisimilitude rather than conscious artistic choice.

Tomasz Mateusz Wojciechowski is a devoted fan of Leonard Cohen because Cohen was the most popular musician in Poland when Wojciechowski was at that crucial teenage to young adult age where musical tastes solidify.

Cohen's father was a Polish immigrant and Poland has always had a remarkable love-affair with Leonard Cohen, even before he gave a concert there in 1985, while the country was still Communist. Bootleg cassettes of Cohen's songs were hot commodities in Poland when Wojciechowski was young and a local artist, Maciej Zembaty, translated and performed his songs to huge success in Poland.

The only artistic choice I made was making a point of mentioning Wojciechowski's music selection when his story started. He started playing a cassette of Songs from a Room and then, when both sides of that finished, he inserted Songs of Leonard Cohen.