View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 PM   #39
DreadDomain

Default Re: GURPS Supers Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I'm honestly not sure. I came onto the series later in his career (post Heroes for Hire) and there wasn't much that could stand up to a full power punch. I joke about the helicarrier destroyed in a hit but some writer did it. I'm open to lower (capping out around 9d? less?) overall..
Yea, I'd say 8d or 9d max.

Quote:
Yea, I don't use it much in personal gaming. I threw it on these for the "Thor lifts a skyscraper", "Storm blankets the northwest in a snowstorm" type feats. It's a bit of an experiment.
Ultrapower is really a GM fiat as written. It is almost an accepted play style for every player (doesn't cost points) as opposed to a power.

Quote:
Good point. Less IT:DR, more DR :)
Yes!

Quote:
Yes and no. I cut quite a few things to stay around 1k and he didn't need those for the movie. I see that I didn't make his heat vision/breath AAs so I can do that (perhaps even add AoA to them) and then free up points for those traits.
Ok. Even in the movies though he goes in space and doesn't seem to mind cold or heat in anyway. Not sure we seen any high pressure exposure but it is very much iconic Supes that he is not affected by him. It's hard to keep him in the same point range as others as his powers are so broadly diverse.

Quote:
Yes, an oversight. I'd add Beautiful since it's commented on by at least 2 people in each movie.
Ok :)

Quote:
True, if Supes fights to her strength where she gets her sword and he's trying to punch away. Doing 39 imp, she'll average 28 per hit. He does 15 per hit. He may have slightly more HP, but yea, he'll run out faster even before you consider her superior skill. I should probably up his DR to 30, lowering her damage to 18 per hit with the sword.

Of course, if it turns into a grappling match, he'll crush her somewhat slowly.

If he's tactically wise and doesn't wish to engage, he can do a pretty neat job just frying her with heat vision while flying too. Slams also favor him greatly.
Supes generally doesn't really fight tactically and from a power perspective, it should be the other way around. If WW doesn't fight smart, she will lose. She is a better fighter but doesn't pack the same puch nor can she absorb as much. Of course, as you point out below, if they are player characters, WW must have other areas where she can out shine Supes. I just don't believe it should be in a slug fest.

Quote:
Obviously they weren't really trying to hurt him while he wasn't really holding back. :) I was trying to keep them roughly equal, hence you get a Supes that isn't as powerful as he might otherwise be.

In any case, it makes for poor party balance when you intentionally create a PC that can take on everyone else single-handedly.
Understood!

Quote:
FWIW, I also created the entire JL and the New X-Men today in my spare time, so I'm not married to the stats or abilities. I put them together as examples, often using similar stuff I've already made for comparisons guessing what feels good for play.
Well done all considered!
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote