Thread: GURPS On Demand
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2022, 12:02 AM   #148
Willy

Default Re: GURPS On Demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
I got "GURPS Conan" as POD and was disappointed in the quality -- the text is slightly blurry, which I suppose comes from the fact that this version was produced from scans of the old book? Is this expected? And if so, is there a way to know which PODs are produced from scans vs PODs produced from better sources like the original layout software files?
That is a problem with a lot of scanned PDFs not only with SJG. There are computer programms which sharpen the text and remove any creases in the original, including all the little problems with scratches and dust particles, or yellowing paper.

A friend of mine has the job to scan old maps and plans for a big company, shove ist through the big scanner and the computer does the rest.

Sadly that hardware and software has a very nice price tag. I guess way out of range for SJG.

The alternative is scanning the text, running a OCR software and cut out the pictures, and redesign all that into a new copy for sale, including a modern typo. Sadly - again very time consumig and to expensive.

I tried this method with a old Scan from a friends habilitation, it took me 4 weeks of free time to get it right.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote