View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 01:05 PM   #116
Rasna

Default Re: Typical ST for a war bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Sorry another necro with more videos from the same channel

(they crowd sourced to do more extended version of the last one)

Here's the main one, where they shoot arrows as set of armour of mixed mail and plate

But there are some shorter supplementary videos that go into some of the aspects in more detail and the thinking behind their choices and methodology

Warbows, draw weight etc

arrows vs. flat metal plates of various types, to establish baseline of performance of the materials

Arrow head materials test to establish base lines

Arrows vs. mail of couple of types again to establish base lines

Bearing in mind the harness in transitional (lots of mail), but pretty interesting stuff.

I particularly liked the details like a proper Aventail with almost rigid mail and backing giving pretty significantly different results to other bits of mail

Sorry I've not been around much so these may have already cropped up in threads

Anyway cheers

Tomsdad

EDIT: I may have tacked this on to the a different thread from the one I linked their first test on, but it's a good enough thread (here's the link to the first test they did anyway)
Very good material to watch, thanks. I've to say that the mail involved in the transitional armour test probably would be just GURPS Light Mail (DR 3/1*) for the mail shirt^ and GURPS Heavy Mail (DR 5/3*) for the aventail, with the collar being Banded Heavy Mail (DR 5). Light Mail isn't standalone armour, and it isn't proofed against heavy warbows shooting heavy arrows at close range, so the abdomen protected just by Light Mail layer is a big weak spot in the harness.

The hit on armpits is a good example of aiming at the chinks of the armour, while the hit on segmented rerebrace that got stuck is a good example of critical hit with a 6 in a roll dice, which halved - rounded down - the DR of the rerebrace because the hit between the plates (DR 3 to DR 1) and then got past the Light Mail shirt.

^ I'd say Light Mail and not Fine Mail because IMO Fine Mail should be something a little denser and studier, and the mail weave seems to be quite light especially regarding the mail skirt.

Last edited by Rasna; 11-29-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Rasna is offline   Reply With Quote