View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 04:08 AM   #35
RGTraynor

Default Re: 4e Cure Disease badly worded/overpowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
At some point...someone will try it. Casting Cost 15 or 20 points is low enough that it would happen. It would take either someone who has the spells or someone with silly money but even the random organ method would eventually work ... The question is whether it got written down/survived in oral tradition.
I'm not thinking even so much whether one rich person would try it. I'm thinking a major medical/clerical establishment with sound record-keeping, interest in research, a critical mass of healing wizards/clerics, diviners to help them out, and the patience to accumulate data over a decade or two. With acolytes around to lend energy or otherwise allow ceremonial castings, such an establishment could cast numerous Restorations a day, and keep on doing so until they have the issue licked. Cue the De materia medica of the fantasy campaign.

Gah, I'm not even thinking. Divination can, explicitly, provide an answer to a yes/no question. "Is the liver the principal organ affecting diabetes?" No? Alright. "Is the spleen the principal organ affecting diabetes?" No? Alright ...

That motivated healing establishment might well be able to crack the code behind just about any disease within just a few years. Again, the theory behind many diseases may be beyond TL2-4 comprehension, but that'd come far behind the need -- and ability -- to fix what's wrong.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote