View Single Post
Old 11-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #33
RGTraynor

Default Re: Skill Lists And Limits For Teenage Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
This is something we know comes in a lot of shades, and thinking you are going to get a world government that doesn't stop short of full union without at least centuries at an intermediate stage is a utopian fantasy no matter what you think the impetus is.
Hardly. History over the just the last century shows that people will knuckle under to any regime -- no matter how foreign or alien -- that's ruthless enough. In an intense burst of irony, I'm in the middle of rereading William Shirer's Nightmare Years, reflecting on his decade in Europe and, among other things, being a reporter on the central European beat for the rise of the Nazi regime. Not a half hour ago, I was reading the section where Shirer describes Hitler's systematic suppression of the powerful and ubiquitous trade union movement, which had brought down the monarchy only 15 years earlier, and Shirer's amazement that they took it so meekly.

(Never mind that ... is anyone really going to hold up America right now as an example of a people unwilling to throw long-cherished principles under the bus out of fealty to one person's whims? Seriously?)

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote