View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 07:08 AM   #40
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Points per each Game Session? What is average or normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post

This isn't about worrying about hurt feelings or point disparities. (At these point levels, a few dozen points either way still feels balanced.) It just simplifies the bookkeeping and keeps the focus on the fun stuff.
Exactly this.

It feels – I don't know? – manipulative to muck about with rewards to ensure that people do or don't do certain things. On an intellectual, emotional, and social level, people get out of the game what they put in. They don't need me handing out affirmations and validations, nor dishing out reprimands.

If someone's fun is tuning in only for fights and action, and playing their character as a rook on a chessboard . . . well, fine. That doesn't have to be my fun, but I don't need to take away their fun because of that.

If someone's fun is talking in a different voice and "becoming" another person . . . well, fine. That doesn't have to be my fun, either – and I don't need to take away their fun because of that, either.

The list goes on. My feeling is that using points as a tool to craft players in my image is imposing my values on them. It makes me an old-timey, adversarial, control-freak GM.

Because as the GM, I get out of the game what I put in. If I put in toxic behavior, I get a toxic game. If I'm supportive of everyone, they support me and I have fun. Simple.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote