View Single Post
Old 11-18-2022, 05:13 PM   #27
kenclary

Default Re: Points per each Game Session? What is average or normal?

I haven't run a GURPS campaign in ages, but were I to nowadays, this is how I would do point rewards:
  • 1 CP to everyone per "stopping point" (generally once per session, give or take)
  • 1 CP to everyone whenever some plot or other gets resolved.
  • 2 CP to everyone whenever there's an "act break" or "lots of time passes" type of thing

Which would be pretty slow growth, I'd think. But, augmented by:
  • Remove / not use any "spend CP for success" meta-mechanics
  • Blatantly steal the "inspiration" system from That Other Game, wherein if someone roleplays well, makes the table laugh, or otherwise earns a cookie, they get an "inspiration" point. And any given character can only have one inspiration point at a time.
  • Let inspiration be spent to re-roll any roll of the dice (skill check, active defense, damage roll, HT check to survive, whatever) and take the better result.
  • If the campaign is suitable, allow the group-as-a-whole to have an inspiration "slot" like this, filled when I say so or when someone who already has inspiration gets more. This group inspiration can be spent by group consensus (though if it's in combat time, they need to reach consensus in 10 seconds).
  • Possibly, group inspiration can also be spent to force the GM to reroll something and take the better-for-the-PCs result.
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote