View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #17
panton41

Default Re: Typical ST for a war bow?

I tend to allow Strongbow and Striking Strength to allow higher ST archers, but mostly for settings as realistic as Dungeon Fantasy. If I wanted to play a game with true realism as a bedrock I'd institute Deadly Spring and maybe even some of the muscle-powered melee weapon limitations that have been batted around.

Ironically, the game I'd pull that with would have non-humans as the standard assumption and draw muscle powered weapons in general from some of the variant "half official damage per ST" rules of thumb that have been batted around.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure I'd pull that off simply to make creating characters "by the book" easier. For higher tech levels where muscle power has little meaning is one thing, in games where matching by the book ST to game ST is something else entirely. I have doubts of whether I'd modify ST and damage to make a game focused on the assumptions of Dungeon Fantasy happy. I've batted around combining Dungeon Fantasy and more realistic play styles and listings (like Low Tech) in the past. Sometimes I like the out-of-this-world assumptions on the strength of bows. If anything I'd like a well-trained bowman to threaten a heavily-armored Knight.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote