Thread: TFT Map Maker
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #246
Shadekeep

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Very groovy. I haven't really done this starting with google earth images or other photographs, but most of the home-cooked locales for my TFT campaign created in the last few years start as maps from Dyson Logos, which cover a huge range of subject and scales and are usually provided in an un-gridded version. I drop a hexagonal wire grid over the top of it in some simple graphics program (even something like ppt works fine) and then print it out.
Yes, if you're comfortable working on graphics programs there are a lot of great ways of building up a map. Especially as the number of toolkits providing ready-to-use mapping elements has grown over the years.

For myself I use Shamat mostly in the initial stage of map design, as it lets me quickly prototype the layout and tweak the design with minimal effort. Once I've gotten that largely settled then I usually migrate the layout to Affinity or Corel and build out the finished map there. Designing the map from scratch in DTP vector software can be a pain and was one of the factors that led to me creating Shamat.