View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #34
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Conan the wizard, Groo the Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trag View Post
Too late for my input to be useful to the update...

But I think this is a problem that is easily fixed by role playing.

I had a character who was your basic strong, dumb, fighter. Ultimately, he reached the point where his strength was high enough to wield a Great Sword one handed. He ended up with a middlin' high IQ (around 17, IIRC) in order to have the talents he needed for all the weapons skills and such he had picked up during play.

But I didn't play him as a genius. I argued that in his case, a high IQ was more indicative of a sort of high animal cunning, rather than intellectual achievement.

Most of these stat issues in ITL can be "fixed" with role playing. The character isn't his stats. The character is what you role play.
That is how I did it. I imagined what kind of character I wanted. When my character got up to the IQ level I thought he should act at, I capped my Reaction rolls to that. I continued investing in IQ, but didn't roll that higher level for attempts. IQ 12/16 12 being the rolling level for activities, 16 being the investment level. 16 counted towards the 42 point character total.

That handled the character bloat for me. I could do that for ST the same way for wizards. Wizbang is ST 12/16. 12 for purposes of taking damage & 16 for fatigue/damage. Yes, I penalized myself out of 4 damage, but it felt right for the character.

I don't recall if I did the same for Dex. I guess I only went real high if I was compensating for armor or if I wanted a fast bowman.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is online now   Reply With Quote