View Single Post
Old 09-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #8
Plane

Default Re: Technical Grappling - Stuck in the Middle of a Tug-Of-War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallatari View Post
That's my thought as well. There should be damage unless you're intentionally doing something to not do damage your target, perhaps at a skill penalty or the sacrifice of control points. I'm just not sure how to model it yet.
In a realistic "I don't want to hurt the person as I drag them" you might for example drag them by 2 arms instead of 1 arm because that spreads out the force needed to pull them between two limbs.

That or maybe drag them by the shirt so that the pulling force is applied to the torso.

This is of course ignoring other things that can damage people being dragged, such as friction of point of contact with rough ground (assume you're being dragged across ice, for example, instead of gravel) that outright carrying avoids.

I don't even know if control points should be able to stop this, I'm thinking more like a max amount of CP a body part can suffer before there's damage or at least risk of it.

Basically to minimize it, you would grapple multiple body parts to spread out the CP and load-bearing.

Quote:
I have implemented the automatic judo throw gives falling damage in my games, and the subject needs to make his own Breakfall roll to lessen that damage. I ruled it as being a fall equal to half the "current height" (i.e., take into account kneeling, etc.) of the thrower, or half the height of the victim, whichever is greater.
Fall damage is harsh realism I like, though I'd prefer half the height of victim if they're standing, and half height of attacker if they had first performed a "pickup" technique successfully.

Quote:
That requires a lot of ballparking the height, but that's fine. For the typical standing humans, I use 1-m (or 1 yard) as the default, even thought it's technically slightly more than half their height.
One thing about falls I'd like to calculate in advance based on someone's HP is the distances required to change between dice amount cutoffs, then you wouldn't need to calculate every time, just look at where it falls between cutoffs.

Quote:
I never contemplated a way for the thrower to "hold back" and prevent a full fall, but I think I would make it as a penalty to skill as well. And maybe have a required follow-up action: e.g., your still holding onto your foe to prevent him from hitting the ground, therefore you must kneel down to still be able to reach him, and if you want to let go you need to do it next turn.
Basically you'd be making extra effort to decelerate them on the way down.

The decelerate the entire way might require crouching or long arms if you were grabbing the torso, but if you were grabbing the arm you might be able to do this standing up.

As with "tug of war" that kind of deceleration could injure if done with low skill (or to stop a high amount of force), though a dislocated shoulder is generally preferable to a concussion.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote