Thread: Swordmage build
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #19
Stormcrow

Default Re: Swordmage build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
On the other hand, if Anders - or his GM, if he isn't the GM for the campaign - feels $100* and 8 hours is insufficient for replacing a Gadget, he's well within his rights to use a lesser Limitation here.
Sure. If the question isn't "how do I do this" but rather "how do I do this without using gadget limitations," then that's that. But strictly from the point of view of "can the given rules do this," the answer is a clear "yes" and even "without twisting anything."

Quote:
*A sword generally costs markedly more than this to replace, but you're also getting the utility of the sword itself on top of the Gadget-Limited Advantage(s).
Sure, but you're paying for that sword with cash or acquiring it during an adventure, and you won't be able to swing that sword at the same time you're using it to cast spells.

Quote:
As others have noted, Gadget can be perfectly legitimate for an ability that is inherent in the character, but which he requires some special focus to use. I do like the idea of renaming it to Focus in that case, to avoid such confusion (and you don't need to bother writing if it's usable by the thief or not - Focuses should always use the Useless to Thief pricing).
As for renaming, let's remember that you don't put the word "gadget" on the character sheet, so it doesn't really matter what you call it.

Invisibility (Affects Machines, +50%; Can Carry Objects, medium encumbrance, +50%; Switchable, +10%; Swordmagery, -50%) [64]

* Swordmagery power modifier: Magical, -10%; Breakable, DR 6, repairable, SM -3 or -4, -25%; Can Be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, will not work for thief, -15%.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote