View Single Post
Old 11-27-2021, 11:51 PM   #30
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Is Wild Talent a bad deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
On the topic of modular abilities, the fundamental problem with modular abilities, alternate abilities, and the like, is that utility-based pricing (which is the only reasonable way to price exotic abilities) has to consider 'how often does it come up' and 'when it comes up, how important is it', and modular abilities basically eliminate the first consideration (since you won't allocate points when the ability isn't relevant). This either means modular abilities are either overpowered when applied to abilities that are rarely applicable (but important when they do come up), or underpowered when applied to abilities that are commonly useful, or both.
The problem that's unique to MA and not things like alternate abilities is that it treats Skills as effectively alternate abilities, which is a pretty big no-no (partly because they already sort of are, most skills* don't really work at the same time as others). MA for skills only is roughly similar to an even wider Bang skill and I'd rather just make that (which I did, Boom! is x10 cost instead of x3 cost) and have it work like a skill instead of advantage.

*Let's not derail this conversation with Magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckster View Post
The tricky part for this build is that I'm not sure how to code the advantage in such a way that you HAVE to use retention if able on a success, and cant use it if you don't have the points to spend on retention in the first place. That and including a stipulation that says that if the character no longer has amnesia they lose wild talent entirely.
A) There's a quirk for "forcing" yourself to spend points under certain circumstances. This sounds like a fine one.
B) Amnesia (Total) is -25pts, Wild Talent is 20pts. That means "buying off" Amnesia is only 5pts.
C) I have a 10pt new advantage (based on UB) that lets a player spend points on the fly. Wild Talent w/Retention does more than that because you also get a skill use out of it at attribute.
D) No, never. I don't like the idea of traits that force how the player sheet itself progresses. Having it be a guideline is perfectly acceptable. But forcing that on someone who didn't choose to have that trait (because of Amnesia) just seems like punishment.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote