View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #44
Tomsdad

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Padded Cloth and Layered Armour penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Targeting locomotion is arguably too useful in GURPS - I have a similar problem in that when Winged Flight is involved, it’s really hard to justify attacking anything other than the wings (which are unarmored, only at -2, and sufficient injury to cripple is basically a guaranteed victory as your target plummets to the earth). A solution I had there (haven’t really tested it) was that, if the target fails their normal defense, give them a “free” unarmed Parry or Dodge, representing the fact that body part is in fairly constant motion. This required the target use a Retreat either for this defense (in which case they benefit from the Retreat bonus) or a previous one (no bonus, but the second defense is available). Adapting this to the legs can work.

It may be that a normal retreat is just a pretty realistic response to an attack to the legs (you are moving you legs out the way afterall)!

I think retreats are IRL very common

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Failing that, well, shin guards (front only, defends knee and lower leg for 3/6 protection) aren’t too terribly onerous and we’re fairly common IIRC, and make the “ignore DR and hit the leg” penalty be -4 instead of -2.

True enough, and at the other end of the leg partial armour often had some kind of coverage for the upper thigh!