View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #35
Tom H.

Default Re: New to GURPS, Making sense of suplements for Zombie Apocalypse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
One last recommendation to "digesting" the rules: Do not eat too much at once! ;)
Yes, this is a great point.

In fact, you may want to get an introductory adventure started with just the two Basic Set books.

For example, with Campaigns you can get:
  • The feel of fighting zombies with the advantage Injury Tolerance (Unliving). Bullets and thrusting swords are not going to be as effective as axes, clubs, and flamethrowers.
  • Basic fatigue rules that cover starvation, foraging for food, and missed sleep.

Another good resource PDF that is an easy read to delve into is, of course, How to Be a GURPS GM.
Besides conveying enthusiasm for GURPS, its a great instructional on how to adjust complexity to your needs.

Furthermore, the author seems to be an advocate of running sample combats for fun. This is a great way to engage your group early. Throw some zombies at your player characters on a hex grid to test out and learn the core combat encounters. Find out what you all like about an actual engagement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamwitch View Post
As my group and I are uninitiated in GURPS is there anything extra i may need to start? I'm a bit skeptical i will only need 3d6 on hand for example.
Not to be overlooked are the notes, enemies, and cheat sheets you will inevitably need. There is some work to be done to distill the most important rules into your own physical or electronic reference.

GURPS for Dummies came out just following the introduction of the 4th Edition rules. It is interesting for the sections in which the authors tried to address one way to cope with the administration of play using custom spreadsheets for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamwitch View Post
I would like to do Gridless, but I do not know if it would be worse than Hex.
In fact, it seems as if firearm combat at range almost requires gridless for the distances involved. Of course, the real zombie action happens up close.

But I have been curious how the seasoned players here like to portray ranged shooting combat. Obviously, you can do it abstractly by narration, but does anyone prefer to use hexes at different scales than 1 yard?

Last edited by Tom H.; 08-05-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Formatting
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote