View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #22
zoncxs

Default Re: Reducing the number of wepon skills

I have tried doing this as well, and the only thing I managed to work out is that the fencing skills are not needed and are instead turned into techniques for knife, shortsword, and broadsword skills.

There is a big difference in using one handed weapons and two handed. So having a one handed axe/mace skill and a two handed axe/mace skill is a must, same for flail.

Polearms are also different. You don't use a halberd the same way you use a spear nor a staff. So you need the 3 different skills. (You can use a staff like a spear, and even like a halberd).

Whips are unique, You have 2 different skills named Kusari for weighted whips that require two hands, and the other named whip needing only 1 hand.

"Bladed" weapons are harder. You need 4 skills at least. This is because the way you use a greatsword/longsword (Two handers) is different from the way you would use an arming sword (Broad sword for you peasants :D) which is different from the way you would use a shortsword/messer which is different from the way you would use a dagger/knife! I would argue that you need 5 skills because the way you use a true greatsword is different from the way you use normal two handed swords (Longswords and bastard swords).

So, with all that, the only change I ever make is getting rid of the fencing skills in favor of fencing techniques. Only for what I already mentioned.