View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #32
Tomsdad

Default Re: A Question of Strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Realistically, lifting skill is backwards: a success should allow you to lift your max, failure means you lift less than your max. This does mean high skill (which will usually succeed) is more consistent than lower skill, but that's actually pretty accurate.
Not quite sure what you mean, would you penalise your roll to get higher max lifts i.e. like the lifting with extra effort currently works.

Or do you mean literally with any amount of success you lift your max lift. If so what would the max be set at? Would it still be a function of ST and wouldn't it mean pretty much everyone with a ST* and skill of 16+ plus just pretty much always lift their maximum possible lift i.e. PB, at will as many times as they like for as long as they liked?

Personally while I agree high skill allows you consistently lift heaver weights than less skill (all else being equal). I disagree when it comes max lifts i.e. PB's. They IME more about everything going well, even if experienced lifter are also able to consistently lift better than less experienced lifters. Similarly as you gain more experience technique i.e 'skill' and get inherently stronger (it's often hard to separate the two at certain points in development) what you can consistently lift and your PBs both improve.

*Would you still base lifting off ST. If so wouldn't that mean a ST11 lifter with Skill +3 would be less able to consistently make their max lift than a ST14 lifter with skill +2, despite the latter having more skill? Maybe if you made the max lift based off ST plus skill (kind of like the trained ST idea)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 08-12-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote